Past Event! Note: this event has already taken place.
Spirit Games: Alternative Lunch Break
January 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
|Location:||Norm Fenn Gym Carleton Athletics|
|Cost:||$20 per team|
|Audience:||Faculty, Staff, Staff and Faculty|
|Key Contact:||Samantha Munro|
|Contact Phone:||Ext. 2042|
Spirit Games: Alternative Lunch Break
The Spirit Games is an awesome opportunity to get your colleagues together for some team building, camaraderie and fun! Teams of four will compete in a variety of activities and games, with the goal of winning as many as possible. Prizes will be awarded for Most Spirit, Most Points and Most Funds Raised. All proceeds will go to Carleton’s Alternative Spring Break program, an immersive experience that connects students to national and international partners committed to positive social change! This event is co-sponsored by Healthy Workplace, the Student Experience Office, Undergraduate Recruitment and Athletics.
The event will take place from 12:00pm to 1:00pm. This includes travel time to/from your office to Athletics!
Spirit Games Details
- Event date: Thursday, January 23
- Location: Norm Fenn Gym
- Deadline to register: Friday, January 17 (noon)
- Teams consist of 4 people (any additional people can attend as a cheering section)
- Cost: $20 per team (paid upon online registration)
- Fundraising: Teams are also encouraged to raise additional funds, with all of the proceeds going to Alternative Spring Break (cash/cheque only)
- Spirit Points: Bring a cheering section and dress the part!
- Passports: One passport will be provided for each team. This is where you will find which 4 activities you will be participating in, and where you will mark down your Wins/Ties/Losses before moving on to the next activity. You must have the Activity Station Captain sign your passport before moving on!
- Awards and prizes will be given out for the following:
- Most Spirit
- Most Funds Raised
- Winning team from each time slot
Event Day Walk-through and Rules
- Sign-In – There will be a sign-in table outside the entrance to Norm Fenn Gym. Team Captains will be given their team’s Passport, where you will record your wins/losses/ties and have the Activity Station Captains sign their signatures
- Start – 12:00pm
- Activities – all teams must complete 4 activities during their allotted time slot. Activity Station Captains will mark down in your Passport whether you’ve won or lost, then you move on to the next activity. A buzzer will sound when it is time to rotate to the next activity. Activities will be a mix of physical activities and mental challenges. Every team member must participate in at least one activity.
- Finish – After the 4th activity finishes, a buzzer will sound. At this point, all teams submit their completed passport to the registration desk on their way out. Award winners will be announced via email on the following Monday.
Curious about which activities will be happening at the Spirit Games? Your team will be randomly assigned to 4 different activities, one from each category, as well as a CHEER station. MORE INFO COMING SOON.
Teams will have 5 minutes to create and present a team chant to our panel of judges. At the end of the presentation, judges will be asked to rate each team on the following four categories:
- Group Participation
Frequently Asked Questions
Find some frequently asked questions about the Spirit Games here.
All participants must fill out a waiver form in order to participate.
If teams choose to do additional fundraising, they can keep track of all cash/cheque donations using this form. Donations are eligible for a receipt for tax purposes.
The deadline to register is Friday, January 17 at noon. The $20 team fee to participate will be payable upon online registration. Please note that a small portion of your registration fee will go toward administration costs.
The form will require the Captain’s name, the names of the other 3 team members, and the Team Name.
Register by filling out the form here.