Deborah S. Gorham
Distinguished Research Professor
|Degrees:||B.A. Honours Philosophy (McGill), M.A. History (Wisconsin), Ph.D. History (Ottawa)|
- Nineteenth- and twentieth-century women’s history in Britain and North America.
- History of education.
- Peace studies.
Current Research Projects:
- Gender, violence and non-violence from the 19th c. to the present
- Gender and Progressive Education
Recent and Selected Publications:
Books and Edited Books
- Marion Dewar: A Life of Action (Toronto: Second Story Press, 2016), 169 pgs.
Winner of the 2017 Ontario History Society’s Alison Prentice prize, for the best book in women’s history published during the the past three years. Finalist for the 2017 City of Ottawa Book Prize in the category English non-fiction.
- Vera Brittain: A Feminist Life, (Oxford, U.K. and Cambridge, U.S.A.: Blackwell Publishers, 1996), 330 pgs.
Paperback edition, University of Toronto Press, 2000, 330 pgs
- The Victorian Girl and the Feminine Ideal (London: Croom Helm, Ltd., and Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, 1982), 222 pgs. Reissued as Volume 19 of Routledge Library Editions: Women’s History, in 2013.
Reissued as volume 19 of Routledge Library Editions: Women’s History in 2013.
- Dianne Dodd and Deborah Gorham, eds, Caring and Curing; Historical Perspectives on Women and Healing in Canada, (Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 1994), 218 pgs.
- Janice Williamson and Deborah Gorham (eds.) Up and Doing: Canadian Women and Peace (Toronto: The Women’s Press, 1990), 262 pgs.
Recent Chapters in Edited Books
- “Omar Khadr: Child Soldier,” in Janice Williamson, ed, Omar Khadr, O Canada, (Montreal: McGill-Queens, 2012), pp 305-316
- “Transforming the Academy and the World”, in Minds of Our Own: Inventing Feminist Scholarship and Women’s Studies in Canada and Quebec, 1966-1976, edited by Wendy Robbins, Meg Luxton, Margrit Eichler and Francine Descarries, (Waterloo: Wilfred Laurier Press, 2008), pp 120-125
Recent Articles in Refereed Journals
- “Liberty and Love? Dora Black Russell and Marriage,” Canadian Journal of History/Annales Canadiennes D’Histoire, volume 46, number 2, autumn/automne 2011.
- “The Ottawa New School and Educational Dissent in Ontario in the Hall-Dennis Era”, Historical Studies in Education/Revue d’histoire de l’education, vol 21, number 2, Fall, 2009, 104-122
- “Three Generations of Yankees: Masculinity, Memory, and War in an American Family, 1842-1975”, Men and Masculinities, vol 10, no 5, (August, 2008), 621-631.
- “Dora and Bertrand Russell and Beacon Hill School”, Russell: the Journal of Bertrand Russell Studies, n.s. 25 (summer 2005): 39-76.