You are eligible to receive a Record of Employment (ROE) if you have had a work stoppage in excess of five working days.  An ROE is required to apply for Employment Insurance benefits.

For information about entitlement to Employment Insurance Benefits see the Canada Revenue Agency website.

The process of acquiring an ROE is different depending on Full-time/Continuing or Temporary employee status.

You can request your ROE here: Record of Employment Request Form

Full-time and Continuing Staff and Faculty

A ROE is completed and sent directly to Service Canada when Human Resources is notified of a work stoppage. Types of work stoppage that require an ROE include:

  • Termination of employment
  • Leave of Absence (ie: Maternity, Parental)
  • Leave without pay
  • Unpaid sick leave

Temporary Staff

How do I get a ROE?

Who can request it?

  • A request for an ROE can be done either by the employee or a manager

How long will it take?

  • The Payroll section of Human Resources have five days from date of request or the last working day, whichever is later, to produce an ROE.


  • At the end of April there is a large volume of students who complete contract work. Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) gives the University an extension during this time. Records of Employment will be produced on a weekly basis by request