1. Overview
  2. New Casual Employees
  3. New Continuing and Term Employees
  4. International Temporary Workers and Students


This page provides information for new employees who are starting out at Carleton.

New Casual Employees

If this is your first employment assignment at Carleton University, we will need you to complete a New Casual Employee Documentation Package and submit it to HumanResources@carleton.ca within a week of your start date.

Individual forms, submission guidelines, and more information can be found on the New Employees page of our Payroll subsite.

If you are an international worker, please see the below section for additional requirements.

man writing on paper

New Continuing and Term Employees

For new continuing and term employees, you will be completing your new hire documentation during your HR orientation session, which will be scheduled by our Talent Acquisition team. However, you will also need to bring the following items with you:

  • A VOID cheque or a signed Direct Deposit Advise (available from your bank)
  • Proof of date of birth – bring government-issued photo ID (examples: Driver’s License, Passport)

If you are an international worker, please see the below section for additional requirements.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

desk globe on table

International Temporary Workers and Students

BEFORE STARTING WORK, international students and international academic appointments must also submit:

  • Confirmation of their Social Insurance Number (SIN), the nine-digit number that you need to work (and get paid) in Canada
  • A photocopy of your valid immigration status document (i.e. Study Permit or Work Permit) indicating your eligibility to work.
  • A photocopy of your passport

For students: Working under the conditions of a study permit means that you MUST remain enrolled in school (except during scheduled breaks) with full-time status. If these conditions are not being met, you may no longer be eligible to work.

For all international workers: If you fall out of status, you are no longer eligible to work. In order to continue working you MUST have a valid SIN and a valid immigration status document. If you apply for an extension before your status expires, you must provide us with proof of implied status.

Confirm your eligibility to work in Canada at the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website or by consulting the International Student Services Office.

 For the following international academic appointments, please contact: