T4 and T4A information slips are produced for all employees for the calendar year in which work was performed.

Information slips are to be distributed to employees by the last day of February under Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) legislation.

Video Tutorial – Accessing your Tax Forms

 Frequently Asked Questions

Who Should Receive a T4 Form?

  • All employees who received salary or wages from Carleton University during the previous calendar year.
  • All employees who retired and received a retiring allowance during the previous calendar year.

Who Should Receive a T4A Form?

Employees who received the following income types:

  • Graduate Students – Scholarship and Research Fellowship awards paid through payroll
  • Faculty – Sabbatical Research Grant Income, University Research Grant Income, Research Achievement awards (Research Grant Portion)
  • Post Doctorate Fellows – Post doctorate non-taxable income
  • Summer NSERC Students – Income under the Summer NSERC Program
  • Retirees who pay for Extended healthcare and dental (as applicable) premiums post-retirement

What is Box 40?

Box 40 reports taxable benefits and may include the following:

  • Group life premiums (basic coverage) paid by the employer on behalf of employees. This includes sales tax
  • Miscellaneous taxable benefits

Amounts reported in box 40 are also included in box 14 (total income).

What is Box 85?

Employee contributions to extended healthcare and dental plans.

How Do I Get a Copy of My T4 or T4A?

A copy of your T4/T4A forms is available on Carleton Central

  • After logging in to Carleton Central, click on the Employee Services tab
  • Click on Tax Forms
  • Click on Slips for Income Tax Return
  • Select year and click on T4 – Statement of Remuneration Paid or T4A – Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
  • Click on drop-down menu to see if there are multiple T4s/T4As
  • Click the Printable Version button
  • If necessary, click the Pop-Up blocked tab at the top of your browser and select ‘Temporarily Allow Pop-Ups’

What Happens if I Had an Employee Status Change During the Calendar Year?

If your employee status changed this year, you will receive two T4’s (one for each reporting category). Be sure to select all statements from the Tax Form drop-down menu in Carleton Central.

Examples of status change:

  • Casual employee appointed as a salaried employee
  • Member of CUPE 2424 / Admin Tech-Exempt appointed to Administrative Management
  • Contract instructor appointed to a term/continuing faculty appointment