- Carleton University Benefits
- Other Perks
In addition to working alongside smart and interesting people in Canada’s beautiful capital, we offer a wide range of professional perks. We’re proud of our people, and make sure to take great care of each member.
Some highlights of our benefits plan include:
Carleton University boasts an excellent health plan and has you covered for medical, dental, vision, drug claims, and emergency travel insurance. Carleton also offers a variety of financial benefits like life and accident insurance plans. To learn more about our benefits and specific coverage, view our Benefits at a Glance page for a brief overview on what we offer each employee group.
Being a post-secondary institution, education is a top priority. Some educational benefits include:
- Career Development Fund: a program designed to assist employees who wish to pursue training associated with career development objectives.
- Tuition Assistance: tuition assistance programs range from reimbursement for tuition after course competition to free tuition for courses at Carleton University for you, your spouse, and your eligible dependents
- Learning and Development Opportunities: throughout the year, Carleton offers courses ranging from Microsoft training to Time Management courses.
As a Carleton employee, you will have access to:
- Our Athletics facilities: a triple gymnasium, field house with indoor jogging/walking track, two ice pads, year-round tennis courts, squash courts, a 50 meter L-shaped pool, cardio room, yoga room, and more.
- Numerous programs under our Healthy Workplace initiative: Healthy Workplace initiatives include workshops and events, lunchtime activities, and campus-wide challenges.
- Health and Counselling Services on campus: a healthcare facility on campus that provides medical, counselling, and a health promotion program to Carleton students, faculty, and staff
- Employee & Family Assistance Program: a confidential information counselling and referral service provided without cost to eligible Carleton University employees, retirees, and immediate family members. This program is provided through a contract with Family Services Ottawa.
Carleton University Retirement Plan
Under the Carleton University Retirement Plan, your pension at retirement is calculated as the Money Purchase Pension plus the excess, if any, of the Member’s Minimum Guarantee Pension over the Money Purchase Pension.
The Money Purchase Pension is the accumulated employee and employer contributions, plus interest, converted to a life annuity.
The Minimum Guarantee Pension at your normal retirement date is calculated as follows (subject to a government maximum):
- Years of Credited Service multiplied by the sum of: 1.29% of the average of your highest 5 years’ earnings up to the 5 year average of the YMPE
- PLUS 2% of the average of your highest 5 years’ earnings in excess of the 5 year average of the YMPE
Carleton University Group RRSP
In addition to the Carleton University Retirement Plan, the University sponsors a voluntary Group RRSP available to all continuing employees. The Group RRSP offers:
- Investment Funds with reduced investment management fees,
- Enhanced interest rates on guaranteed interest accounts,
- A broad range of investment choices from professional fund managers,
- No inter-fund charges –change your asset mix anytime without penalties or cost,
- No administration fees, regardless of the size of your account,
- No minimum contribution to the plan and no minimumrequired to invest in any fund or to buy a Guaranteed Interest Account, and
- A secure and convenient website– GRS Access– to keep up-to-date and make changes to your program.
Other retirement income
Other potential sources of retirement income include the:
- Voluntary pension contributions,
- Canada/QuebecPension Plan, and
- Old Age Security.
It’s the little things. Employees at Carleton University also receive the following benefits:
Carleton University has been named one of the top employers in the National Capital Region – a major honour awarded to only 25 institutions in the area.
To learn more about what makes Carleton a Top Employer, you can visit this link: http://content.eluta.ca/top-employer-carleton-university
This program assists continuing employees in purchasing laptops, microcomputers, workstations, and related accessories for their own use in support of the University’s general strategic goal of enhanced access to information technology.
Each year Carleton University holds a United Way Campaign. By directing our efforts to combat the underlying causes of community problems we are helping to change our community today and tomorrow.
Carleton University staff, faculty and students are encouraged to get involved, whether by volunteering on the United Way Campaign, suggesting (or running!) fundraising events, taking part in an event, or donating.
CAUBO has entered into a preferred partnership with Enterprise Rent-A-Car and National Car Rental. With over 8,500 rental locations, CAUBO institutional and affiliate members are eligible for guaranteed contracted rates and services with both brands. For more information, please visit the CAUBO website.