Financial Security Options at Carleton
Carleton University offers a comprehensive retirement package. For full information on Carleton’s retirement and pension plan, including types of contributions, receiving your pension, and more, please visit the Carleton University Retirement Plan section on this website.
Employees with appointments of 12 months or more are eligible to join the plan.
Available to all continuing employees.
Canada Savings Bonds
Carleton employees can increase contribution amounts to their Canada Savings Bonds.
Full and part-time continuing employees and full and part-time term employees with appointments of 12 months or more are eligible to join the plan. You may be enrolled in the plan on the first day of any month coincident with or following your date of employment. Membership is compulsory by the first day of July after you reach age 30.
Once you join the plan, you must remain a member while employed by the University.
For more information, please visit our Retirement and Pension section of this website.
Carleton University Group RRSP
The Group RSP offers employees the opportunity to designate funds by payroll deposit directly to the RSP. Pick the funds you want to invest in. It’s a great tax saving opportunity.
If you are a Carleton University employee with continuing full-time or part-time appointments, you can contact Payroll Services to apply.
This group plan offers:
- Investment Funds with reduced investment management fees
- Enhanced interest rates on Guaranteed Interest Accounts
- Broad range of investment choices from professional fund managers
- Change your asset mix anytime without penalties or cost
- No administration fees, regardless of the size of your account
- No minimum contribution to the plan & no minimum required to invest in any fund or to buy a Guaranteed Interest Account
- Keep up-to date and make changes to your program through the Group Retirement Services (GRS) Access website. Contact HR for details.
Want to make changes to your RRSP Contributions direct from pay? Please contact Payroll Services for assistance.
The Canada Savings Bonds Program is Ending
The Government of Canada announced it will discontinue the sale of Canada Savings Bonds (CSBs) purchased through the Payroll Savings Program as of November 2017.
What this means if you are currently enrolled in the Program
- Your CSB contributions will continue to be deducted from your pay and go towards your CSB Payroll Savings Plan until 31 October 2017.
- The funds in your Payroll Savings Plan are safe, guaranteed and will be honoured. Bond series in your plan will continue to earn interest until redemption or maturity, whichever comes first.
- You will continue to have access to your funds 24/7 through CSB Online Services. If you wish to make a redemption prior to the maturity date, you can do so online or by using the automated telephone service.
- As each bond series in your plan matures, the funds (principal and interest) associated with that series will automatically be paid out to you by cheque or direct deposit according to your account information.
- After all the bond series in your plan have been redeemed or paid out, your plan will be closed.
- If you contribute to a Canada RSP through the Payroll Savings Program, there will be no change at this time. If any, they will be communicated to you at a future date.
For more information about what this announcement means to you, please visit csb.gc.ca to access Questions and Answers for Payroll Savings Program – Employees.