Industrial Design will be hosting 3 Portfolio and Information Sessions on the following dates:
- Session 1: Friday, January 31, 2020
- Session 2: Friday, February 14, 2020
- Session 3: Friday, March 6, 2020
These information sessions provide an important opportunity to learn more about the school and visit the design studios, workshops, and laboratories. It is also an opportunity to bring your portfolio (completed or in progress) for feedback. Your portfolio can either be digital or hardcopy. No physical models, please.
The Information session will start at 1:00 in the Gallery (room 450, 4th floor, Azrieli Pavillion, Carleton University).
- Presentation (30 min)
- Tour (30 min)
- Portfolio review (one on one)
*Parents are welcome to attend the presentation and tour.
Why your portfolio is important?
Successful candidates are chosen from a large pool of applicants with a limited number of admissions. The Admissions Committee will be considering both the design of the portfolio and the quality and clarity of the work presented.
Your portfolio should include:
- Resume (academics, work experience, interests, and other);
- Statement of interest with reasons for wanting to study industrial design; and
- A diverse selection of 2D and 3D creative work with explanatory notes. (Creative work may include freehand and computer-generated drawings, technical drawings, paintings, graphics and photographs, and images of 3-dimensional work such as sculptures, models, renovations, furniture, fashion items, and others. It is useful to show both the process and final work).
The School of Industrial Design offers a straightforward digital-only submission process. All details are available at the School of Industrial Design website (carleton.ca/id) for preparing a portfolio, including portfolio guidelines and portfolio samples and videos. It is important to clearly follow format requirements to be considered for acceptance.