The portfolio should provide the best examples of creative intellectual activity and recent professional work.
Successful candidates are chosen from a large pool of applicants. The design of the portfolio is important and indicates the applicant is sufficiently prepared to pursue studies in the program. Above all, your portfolio should show your ability to think and work creatively in both 2D and 3D, and to communicate this effectively.
Your portfolio should include:
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of interest
- 2D and 3D creative work
An overview of your academic accreditation, work experience, interests, and other activities that may be relevant to the Bachelor of Industrial Design program.
Statement of interest
A statement underscoring the reasons you want to study industrial design. The statement should be brief and to the point.
2D and 3D creative work
Diverse selection of 2D and 3D creative work demonstrating freehand and computer generated drawings, technical drawings, paintings, graphics and photographs, and images of 3-dimensional work such as sculptures, models, renovations, furniture, fashion items, and other. Each project should include both the process and the final work, as well as explanatory notes.
The portfolio should not exceed 20 samples.
Your portfolio can be:
- Single compiled .pdf portfolio. Please limited to 20 pages.
- Maximum of 20 individual images. Please upload 1 (one) image at a time. Images may be submitted in horizontal and/or vertical orientation. Images larger than 1280 x 1280 x 72 ppi will be resized.
- A combination of individual images, videos, and documents. Please upload 1 item at a time and do not exceed 20 items. Within this option, multiple page PDF files that are within a single item will NOT be seen to be reviewed. Videos should not exceed 2 minutes or they will NOT be reviewed in their entirety. You should limit your video submissions to a maximum of 2 videos.
Acceptable File Types:
- Images: .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .tif, .tiff, .bmp, .tga
- Videos: .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .wmv, .flv, .asf, .mpeg, .mpg, .mkv
- Documents: .pdf
Acceptable File Sizes:
- Images must be under 5 MB (images that exceed 1280 x 1280 x 72 ppi will be resized).
- Videos must be less than 250 MB in size (videos should not exceed 2 minutes).
- Documents must be less than 10 MB.
SlideRoom Support has a great page about file and image size for the Portfolio upload – Working with Media and Your Portfolio. You can upload images with any dimensions, as SlideRoom resizes images larger than 1280 x 1280 x 72 ppi. Images and videos are subject to be compressed to be displayed properly in SlideRoom.
Submit CV, statement of interest and portfolio samples online using Slideroom.
For reviewing purposes, upload one sample at a time. Additional instructions will be available after logging into Slideroom.
Slideroom will be available starting January 15, 2021. Please note there is a $10(US) administration fee to set up a Slideroom account.
Samples of portfolios accepted to the Bachelor of Industrial Design program. Please note the wide range of content and skill that illustrates applicants’ unique strengths and interests.
Sondos Bazara [PDF]
Jade Bruins [PDF]
Janine Loo [PDF]
Justin Low [PDF]
Sash Mahara [PDF]
Senafa Noudelhou [PDF]
Eric Pond [PDF]
Zach Rodgers [PDF]
Audrey Sabbagh [PDF]
Jenna Si [PDF]
Sofia Tapia [PDF]
Kole Tromp [PDF]
Cora Vasut [PDF]
Imasha Walatara [PDF]
Rebecca Wang [PDF]
Tommy Wiwchar [PDF]
Tyler Worden [PDF]
Albert Yu [PDF]