Assistant Professor, Preliminary (Tenure-track)
The School of Industrial Design invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor position, with a focus on application of theory to the professional practice of industrial design. The position start date can be either August 1, 2019 or January 1, 2020. Deadline for applications is May 30, 2019.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. All positions are subject to budgetary approval.
Qualified candidates must have a professional degree in industrial design as well as an advanced degree (Masters or higher). The applicant must have a minimum of 5 years of experience working in practice as well as a record of successful studio teaching. The ideal candidate will understand and demonstrate the relationship between design as an academic discipline, and practice as a mode of design research. Practical experience in sustainability and design, advanced manufacturing, interaction design or service design, will be seen as a benefit.
Responsibilities will include:
• Undergraduate teaching of lectures and studio courses
• Ongoing creative activity and a developing record of research scholarship
• Supervision of MDes students
• Service on School, Faculty, and University committees
• Building interdisciplinary ties across the University and external design community
• Maintaining close ties with industry alumni and professional organizations
Applicants should submit:
• Letter of interest stating academic and pedagogical objectives
• Curriculum Vitae
• Five samples of published work (this can include papers, articles, patents, awards)
• Design portfolio clearly identifying personal, professional and student work
• Three letters of reference
Applicants should submit an application electronically here by May 30, 2019.
Inquiries may be directed to: Anna Kim, School Administrator, School of Industrial Design, Carleton University Tel: +1-613-520-2600 (Ext. 5591)
Contract Instructor Positions 2019-2020 Academic Year
We will post available positions for our courses May 30, 2019.