International co-op students who plan to travel to Canada for a summer work term must ensure they are fully informed of current requirements to qualify for a travel exemption and be admitted to Canada. Comprehensive information is available on the ISSO’s Travel and Quarantine Planning Support website. Students are urged to review that information and to register through the website for individual pre-arrival support.

Carleton students may come to Canada because the University has a government-approved COVID-19 readiness plan, but only if they are coming for the purpose of studying. This is usually established by a valid study permit and a current Carleton Certificate of Enrolment.

Co-op students should additionally have one of the following documents:

  • A valid co-op work permit.
  • A letter of introduction (approval letter for a co-op work permit, if you applied outside of Canada).
  • Proof that you have applied for a co-op work permit recently.

To travel to Canada, you will also need full-time study confirmation. Request this letter through the mySuccess portal on Carleton Central.

  • Click on the blue button at the bottom-right of your on-screen dashboard and select “Submit a form”.
  • Select “Co-op Student Forms” and “Confirmation of Student Enrolment Letter”.
  • For “Purpose of Request” choose “Travel to Canada, full-time studies confirmation for a co-op work term”. This letter will confirm that you are a Carleton student doing a co-op work term in Summer 2021.

Please keep in mind:

  • Government of Canada travel restrictions are subject to change with little or no notice.
  • Following advice provided by the ISSO does not guarantee entry to Canada.
  • Students should travel only when they feel it is safe to do so, and only if they are prepared to handle the additional trouble and expense due to COVID-19 testing, a 3-night mandatory hotel stay, and a 14-day quarantine in Canada.