Last Updated On: April 30, 2021.

Answers to frequency asked questions (FAQs) for international students are listed below in the following categories:

For other FAQs relating to COVID-19 and Carleton University, please visit Carleton’s COVID-19 website.


Kindly note that the information on this web site does not, and is not intended to constitute legal advice, and instead all information, content and material is for general information purposes only. Readers should contact and consult with an authorized immigration representative to obtain advice with respect to any particular legal matter.  No reader should act or refrain from acting on the basis of information on this site without first seeking legal advice from an authorized representative in the relevant jurisdiction and with expertise in immigration law.  Only your authorized representative can provide assurances that the information contained herein – and your interpretation of it – is applicable or appropriate to your particular situation. The content and information are provided “as is;” and no representations are made that the content or information is accurate, complete or error-free. Any liability is expressly disclaimed and Carleton University will not be liable for any losses, injuries or damages from the use or reliance on the information or content.

Study Permits and Applications to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Work and Post-Graduation Work Permits

Travelling Outside of Canada and Re-Entering Canada

Information for New Admissions

Mandatory Quarantine Planning and Support

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for all international and/or non-residents (and their dependents) studying or working at Carleton University. If you are taking classes from outside of Canada during the Summer 2021 term, UHIP is not required. Please complete the UHIP Opt-Out Form and the UHIP charge will be removed from your student account.

Please note: If you have chosen or choose to leave Canada voluntarily during the academic year, your UHIP cannot be terminated as it will cover some emergency out-of-country expenses. No refund will apply in this case.

Intercultural Programming and Support

Outgoing Exchange Students

Incoming Exchange Students

COVID-19 Financial Support

Social Insurance Numbers