Below is a guide that will help walk you through the steps of the new online outgoing exchange application. Please carefully read the information below. If you find that the answer to your question is not addressed below, please use the contact form below.
Do I have to complete the entire application at once?
No, you will have the ability to save your progress at each stage of the application and come back later. Please note that the deadline to apply is December 7, 2016. Please note that applications have now closed for outgoing exchange (2017-2018). No late applications will be accepted.
Is there anything I should prepare/ have with me as I apply online?
- Visit the “How to Apply” page and make sure you complete Step 1 (Determine your eligibility) and Step 2 (Research your choices). Step 3- attend an exchange information session is highly recommended.
- Make sure you know which term(s) you wish to apply for (Fall, Winter, or Full Year). Bachelor of International Business (B.I.B.) students apply for the full year.
- Obtain permission to use the name and contact information for two academic references (Professors, not Teaching Assistants). The reference letter is not required at the time of application. However, the reference letter may be required as part of the application to the host institution after the results are available.
- During the application you will be asked to answer a few short-answer questions regarding your motivation and objectives for the exchange program. Keep these things in mind as you fill out the application.
- Method of payment for application fee (Visa or MasterCard). This is not applicable to B.I.B. students.
Can I make changes once I’ve submitted my application?
No, you will not be able to make changes once you submit your application. Please make sure your application is complete and accurate when you submit it.
1. Application Location
Where can I find the application on Carleton Central?
You will be able to find the application under the heading, “Student Online Applications” on the main page of Carleton Central.
How do I know if I am eligible to go on exchange?
If you are interested in going on exchange, we encourage you to start the process by doing a bit of research, and seeing if you meet the criteria. The first step in the online application process will determine your eligibility automatically for you. If you do not meet the requirements, we encourage you to examine the reasons why and to apply again at a later date. If you are eligible for exchange, you will be able to move on to the next step.
3. Selecting Institution Preferences
How long can I go on exchange for?
You can indicate on the application how long you wish to go on exchange for (one semester or one year). The drop-down menu will only display the terms available at each specific partner institution. Please be aware that other university’s semester start and end dates may be different from Carleton’s.
Which institutions should I choose?
Besides your own personal preferences, some factors to consider when choosing institutions are:
- if you speak the language spoken in the country (and of the courses taught at the institution). A full, up-to-date list of our partner institutions can be found on our Partner Information page. Only the partners available to you based on your faculty and level of study (undergraduate or graduate) will be available for you to select on your application.
- if the institution offers courses that will fit well into your area of study. This can be found through the Exchange Course Equivalency Database. Please note that this database is based on previous exchanges and is not a comprehensive list of courses that will be available when you do your exchange.
4. Assessment Questions
Why do I have to fill out the Assessment Questions?
The assessment questions are an important part of the application process. Since the exchange program spaces are limited, we place students firstly on academic performance, and as a secondary measure, on the assessment questions.
Two Academic References
Obtain permission to use the name and contact information for two academic references (Professors, not Teaching Assistants). The reference letter is not required at the time of application. However, the reference letter may be required as part of the application to the host institution after the results are available.
5. Additional Forms
Where can I find the additional forms?
You will be able to find them on our Application Forms page.
6. Outgoing Exchange Application Fee
How much is the fee?
The fee is $80 Canadian and is payable by Visa or MasterCard. The fee is non-refundable. Update: We are experiencing some difficulties with Visa/Debit Cards. For the time being, please use an alternative form of payment.
I am a B.I.B. student, do I have to pay the fee?
No, your application will automatically bypass the fee payment stage.
7. After you submit your application
What do I do after I submit my application?
Congratulations on submitting your application! After a successful application submission, you will receive an automatic confirmation e-mail. Decision e-mails will be sent in February. More information on the decision timeline, and next steps can be found on the How to Apply page.
In the mean time, it is important to check your Carleton e-mail regularly for updates. You can check back into the online application on Carleton Central periodically to see if there are any status updates.