Checklist for Outgoing Exchange Students

Congratulations on your upcoming exchange!  Studying on exchange can be an enriching, often life-transforming, experience where learning extends beyond the classroom walls.  In order to prepare for your upcoming journey, we have put together the following pre-departure checklist. If you fail to comply with any of the pre-departure requirements, your exchange application may be cancelled.

  1. Apply to your host institution
  2. Obtain your passport; apply for a student visa
  3. Meet with your departmental advisor
  4. Complete your exchange assignment
  5. Attend the pre-departure orientation session
  6. Final Steps
  7. Arrange to obtain your transcript

Should your plans change at any time and you decide that you no longer wish to study abroad, you must notify the ISSO of your withdrawal by contacting the Exchange Coordinator at– please include your full name, student number, and name of host institution.

Apply to your host institution

After being accepted into the exchange program and Carleton has nominated you to a partner institution, you will be required to complete an application to that institution. Check your host institution website for upcoming application deadlines and procedures. Return your completed host university application and submit it to the Exchange Coordinator at the ISSO, who will forward your application to the host university or submit it online.

Students going on exchange for the Winter Term 2017 should wait 3-6 weeks, until the late summer or fall term to obtain this information, unless contacted by the ISSO.

Final confirmation of your participation in the exchange will be dependent upon approval from the partner institution.  This can take several weeks or months. It is strongly recommended that you do not book your flight until you receive the letter of acceptance from the host institution.

Obtain your passport; apply for a student visa

Obtain your passport or make sure your current passport is valid.  The expiry date must be at least 6 months beyond your expected date of return. You can apply for a new passport through Service Canada.

After you receive a copy of your Letter of Acceptance from your host institution, you can apply for a student visa from the Embassy or High Commission of your country of destination.  Contact the appropriate Embassy or High Commission to find out what documentation is required in order to apply for your student visa.

Meet with your Departmental Advisor

Before going on exchange you are strongly encouraged to meet with your Departmental Advisor to ensure you are fully aware of the courses you require for your program now and when you return from your exchange.

View the list of courses previously evaluated for equivalency for your host university. You can locate the list on the Registrar’s Office website Please note: these do not necessarily represent the only courses available, only those that have been evaluated in past three years.

After the Pre-Departure Orientation Sessions you will have access within your International Exchange Application in Carleton Central to view the equivalency list as well as add and create courses you wish to take.

The course status will be communicated to you via your International Exchange Application in Carleton Central. Check your status regularly. For questions regarding your transfer of credit equivalencies and your academic audit please contact the

Architecture students must present course syllabi and course work completed on exchange to the Associate Director (Undergraduate) at a meeting held in October (after completion of the exchange study period). The exact date of this meeting will be announced by the Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism two weeks in advance. The Associate Director (Undergraduate) will determine course equivalencies at that meeting and will communicate the results to the Registrar’s Office.

Graduate students should visit the FGPA website and complete the Approval Form for Outgoing Graduate Students form under “Inlt’l Exchange Program Forms”. You must obtain the appropriate permission with your Faculty Advisor and Department Administrator. Submit the form to the Exchange Program Coordinator at the ISSO for signature, who will then submit the form to the FGPA. Once completed, the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs will process your registration. Make sure to check your Carleton account regularly to review the number of course registrations and to arrange fee payment.

PMC students should note that not all host institutions will be able to provide accommodation in the same manner as Carleton. You must contact the disability services office at the host institution to determine what services are available and arrange for these accommodations. To facilitate this process, your PMC Coordinator can provide you with a copy of your documentation and a letter outlining the accommodations your receive at Carleton. For more information, please visit the Paul Menton Centre.

Complete your exchange assignment

To best prepare for your exchange, we strongly recommend that you review the exchange assignment and research your destination country/institution thoroughly. Please note that the exchange assignment is for personal use only and does not need to be submitted to the ISSO once completed (unless otherwise indicated by your exchange coordinator).

Click here to download the exchange assignment.

Attend the pre-departure orientation session

Every April there is a mandatory session for students departing for exchange in the Fall or Winter. You must present your campus card for photo identification to confirm attendance. Students will receive more details on the Pre-Departure Orientation by e-mail once they have been selected to participate in the exchange program.

Topics include:

  • Transfer of Credit
  • Safe Travel & Canadian Consular Services
  • Health & Wellness
  • Scholarships, Bursaries & Government Student Aid
  • Risks & Responsibilities
  • Cultural Adaptation

Outgoing exchange students will receive a pre-departure orientation package at the session. Students are reminded that they must submit the exchange forms contained in their package to the ISSO. These forms include the Assumptions of Risk, Responsibility and Liability Waiver and the Proof of Insurance. These forms are also available on the application page .

Final Steps

  • Know the start and end dates of your exchange and add/drop deadline dates (by term). Once registered for exchange, email this information to the Registrar Specialist handling your file in the Registrar’s Office at Carleton.  A list of all Registrar Specialists can be found on the Registrar’s Office website.
  • Prior to departure, consult the U-Pass website to see if you are eligible for a refund for the term(s) that you will be on exchange. Note that students participating in the exchange program are not required to complete the opt-out form as they would have already been included in the list of U-Pass exemption from the ISSO.  However, such students are required to return the U-Pass by the specified exemption deadline indicated on the U-Pass website if requesting a refund.
  • Prior to departure, register online for the CU Travel Registry.
  • Prior to departure, obtain Health and Travel Insurance.  Inform OHIP if you are overseas more than 6 months. Arrange for medical, dental, eye check-ups.
  • Register with Foreign Affairs once you know your address abroad (
  • Make arrangements to pay your Carleton University tuition fees and other fees for your term(s) abroad.  You are required to pay full-time tuition and study full-time while on exchange.
  • If applicable, you may be eligible for scholarships, bursaries or provincial student loans such as OSAP.  Review the ISSO’s scholarship information page to find out more.
  • Arrange for someone (e.g. a Power of Attorney, if required) to take care of your finances while you are gone.  Contact the Awards Office for more details on this process.

Arrange to obtain your transcript

Near the end of the exchange period, make arrangements to have the official transcript to the ISSO (details below).  Should you wish to have an extra copy for personal use, such as graduate school application or future opportunity, you must request an additional copy from the host institution.

Transcripts should be sent to:

Nancy Leslie
Exchange Program Coordinator
ISSO, 128 University Centre, Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6, Canada
Tel: +1 (613) 520-6600