Update June 2016: CIC is implementing a leniency period until September 29th so students returning to Canada in the Fall will not be affected if they have not yet obtained an eTA.  However, we strongly encourage all student who require an eTA to apply for one as soon as possible so as not to encounter travel problems in the future.   Anyone who applied for a study permit after July 31, 2015, would automatically have been issued an eTA if they required one. Students with study permits issued before this date will need to apply online for an eTA.

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

This document is not required if you are:

  1. a) a U.S. citizen
  2. b) a foreign national with a valid visa

Check if you need an eTA of visitor visa herehttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp