1. When to Apply for an Extension
  2. How to Apply for an Extension
  3. Waiting for Your New Study Permit 
  4. Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa
  5. Replacing a Lost Study Permit

Kindly note that the information on this web site does not, and is not intended to constitute legal advice, and instead all information, content and material is for general information purposes only. Readers should contact and consult with an authorized immigration representative to obtain advice with respect to any particular legal matter.  No reader should act or refrain from acting on the basis of information on this site without first seeking legal advice from an authorized representative in the relevant jurisdiction and with expertise in immigration law. Only your authorized representative can provide assurances that the information contained herein – and your interpretation of it – is applicable or appropriate to your particular situation. The content and information are provided “as is;” and no representations are made that the content or information is accurate, complete or error-free. Any liability is expressly disclaimed and Carleton University will not be liable for any losses, injuries or damages from the use or reliance on the information or content.

If your study permit will expire before you finish your program at Carleton, you must apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for a new one. This application is an extension or renewal of student status. It is your responsibility to know the expiry date on your permit and to apply for an extension before then so you can keep studying.

Download the ISSO’s detailed guide Study Permit Renewal Guide (PDF 470 KB)

You can always contact the ISSO if you have questions or would like help with your study permit extension application.

If you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) as well as a new study permit, you should know that there is a two-step process in Canada:

  • Apply for your new study permit
  • After you receive your study permit, apply for the TRV

You cannot apply for both at the same time.

When to Apply for an Extension

Check your passport expiry date first! If your passport is about to expire, your first step is to get a new one. Processing times and processes are different for each country.

You must apply for a new study permit before the expiry date of your current permit. It’s a good idea to apply about two months before. You might want to do it even sooner, if IRCC’s current processing times are long, or if you plan to travel and will need a new Temporary Resident Visa to return to Canada.

If you don’t apply before your study permit expires, you must stop studying (and working) immediately. You have two choices:

  • Apply for restoration of status within 90 days. This can be a difficult application. Visit the ISSO for advice.
  • Leave Canada and apply for a new study permit from your home country.

How to Apply for an Extension

The best way to apply is online. If you do the application on paper, it will be processed much slower.

Start by signing in or creating an account at the IRCC website.  On your account home page, look for “Apply to Come to Canada” and choose the study permit option. Answer the questions about yourself and why you want to come to Canada. The system uses your answers to create a document list. Most applications include these items:

  • IMM 5709 — Application to Change Conditions, Extent My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student. Download the form from the online system and open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Add your information, validate the form, then upload it to the online application.
  • Your passport – Click on the question mark to see which pages to include.
  • “Letter of acceptance” — On this line, Carleton students should provide at least two documents:
    • Certificate of Enrolment – This document shows that you are currently enrolled. It is available from Carleton Central under Student Online Applications. Choose the option for a visa or study permit.
    • Statement of Student Progress – Stating your program completion date. Contact the ISSO for a referral.

If you will not complete your program within the time shown on your Student Information for a Study Permityou should visit the ISSO. You will need to provide more documents to explain your new program completion date.

  • Proof of Financial Support — You must show that you can pay your tuition and living expenses for the next year. For many students, the proof is a letter from their parents together with 3-4 months of their bank statements. If you have a scholarship, or other sources of funding, you can use other documents.
  • Recent digital photo of you
  • Optional: Client information — This is a letter of explanation and/or additional documents to make your application as convincing as possible.

Waiting for Your New Study Permit 

Applications for study permit extensions are processed by IRCC in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The immigration officer will assess whether you have met the terms and conditions of your study permit and make a decision about your new study permit.

If the officer needs additional documents to help them make their decision, you will receive an email and there will be a detailed message in your online account. You must reply before the deadline, or your application will be refused.

If you applied for the extension before your current study permit expires, you are allowed to continue to study even if your old study permit expires while you are waiting.

If your application takes longer than IRCC’s current processing times, you can send an inquiry using the IRCC Web Form.

When your application is approved, you will receive a message in your online account. IRCC will mail the study permit to your Canadian address.

If you need a new Electronic Travel Authorization, it will be included with your new study permit. If you need a new Temporary Resident Visa, you can apply for it after your new study permit arrives.

Learn more about extending your study permit.

Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa

Most people who are not Canadians need either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV, also called a visitor visa) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada. Some people only need their valid passport. Find out which document you need at the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

If you need an eTA, it is issued automatically with your new study permit. If you need a new TRV, you can apply for a new one provided you have a valid study permit. Learn more in the ISSO’s Temporary Resident Visa Application Guide (PDF, 376 KB).

If you leave Canada with only a valid study permit, you will have to apply for a new visa from outside of Canada before you can return.

Replacing a Lost Study Permit

If your study permit is lost or stolen, you can apply for a replacement. The cost is $30.