- Nomination from your Home Institution
- Complete the Incoming Exchange Application Form and Supporting Documents
- Receive your student number, set up your MyCarletonOne account
- Request for courses and Letter of Acceptance
- Official Transcript
For an update on the Incoming Exchange Program and the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the ISSO’s COVID-19 FAQ webpage.
To apply to Carleton as an exchange student, you must be nominated for exchange through the international office at a current exchange partner. Exchange students pay tuition to their home institution during their time at Carleton.
If your institution does not have an exchange agreement with Carleton University, you can look into applying as a Study Abroad student.
|Nomination Period||Study Period|
|February 1 – March 15||Fall Term (September to December)|
|February 1 – March 15||Full Year (September to April)|
|August 1 – September 15||Winter Term (January to April)|
The Fall 2020 and Full Year Incoming Exchange Nomination Form is now closed.
The Winter 2021 Incoming Exchange Nomination form will open in August.
|Application Period||Study Period|
|March 15 – April 30||Fall Term (September to December)|
|March 15 – April 30||Full Year (September to April)|
|September 15 – October 15||Winter Term (January to April)|
The Fall 2020 and Full Year Incoming Exchange Application is closed.
The Winter 2021 Incoming Exchange Application form will open in September.
Steps for Completing the Application
- Read important course selection information and note which courses are not available for exchange students. You will need to take a look at this information before you complete the application form.
- Submit an official transcript. The document should be an original and officially translated into English
- Proof of English proficiency is required for students whose native language is not English and the primary language of instruction at their home institution is not English (some exceptions may apply). Documents should be original, with test dates no more than 24 months from the time of application, and should be officially translated into English. The minimum scores required for:
- Undergraduate Students:
- Internet Based TOEFL (iBT): 86 (minimum of 22 in writing and speaking, 20 in reading and listening)
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 6.0 in each band)
- CAEL: 70
- Graduate Students:
- Internet Based TOEFL (iBT/ Next Generation): 100 (minimum of 25 in writing, speaking, reading and listening)
- Paper Based TOEFL (PBT): 580
- IELTS: 8.0 (minimum of 7.5 in each band)
- CAEL: 70
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)(Academic): 60 overall (minimum 60 in each Communicative Skill)
e. Include a Portfolio if requesting Architecture, Industrial Design (IDES) or Interactive Multimedia Design (IMD) Courses. Portfolio requirements are provided below:
f. Include an Audition if requesting performance courses in Music.
After you have submitted your Application Form, the ISSO will review your application. Data on the application will be processed for student profile and student number. Applicants who apply by the application deadline will receive a Letter of Acceptance sent to the email indicated on the application form. In this letter, you will find your Carleton University Identification Number (CUID) and MC1 Username, which will allow you to set up your Carleton email and apply for housing on Carleton Central.
Your Carleton email will be your main point of contact with the University. With your MyCarletonOne account, you will be able to access CU Learn, which is the platform that your course information, such as the syllabus, class slides and grades will be available on.
Default password: will consist of the initial of your First name (in uppercase) followed by the initial of your Last name (in lowercase), followed by your full date of birth in YYYYMMDD format. For example, Jane Doe was born in 1992 on May 23rd, thus her initial password will be Jd19920523.
For more information and additional instructions, please visit the Information Technology Services (ITS) website.
Questions: please contact the ITS department at email@example.com or +1 (613) 520-3700. Remember to inform ITS that you are coming as an exchange student and not paying international student tuition fees.
Course availability is subject to change. For your exchange term(s) at Carleton, you should create a study plan that includes a mixture of courses from your major, minor, concentration and most especially electives. You are advised not to request courses that you need for graduation purposes because we cannot guarantee we will be able to accommodate your request.
The courses that you have listed on your Incoming Exchange Application form will be reviewed by Carleton’s departmental advisors. If you have selected courses from more than one discipline, a request will be sent to the designated department contact for each discipline.
If you require a student visa, submit a copy of this Letter of Acceptance with your visa application to the nearest Canadian Embassy/Consulate/High Commission.
|Letter of Acceptance Sent By||Study Period|
|June||Fall Term (September to December)|
|June||Full Year (September to April)|
|mid-November||Winter Term (January to April)|
Note that after the letter of acceptance is sent, Carleton University will only contact students via their Carleton email address and students must check their account regularly for important messages and updates.
Once your application has been submitted, consult our Pre-Arrival Instructions for important information on the next steps of preparing yourself to come to Carleton.
The ISSO no longer sends out hard copy originals of transcript. Transcripts are sent electronically as a PDF and the information contained therein is equivalent to that on the paper version. Please note that transcripts are emailed directly to the home institution and not to the student.
Should you require a hard copy original of the transcript, please submit a request to the Registrars’ Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Contact the Exchange Program Coordinator.