Looking to have a unique opportunity to travel that will enhance your university experience? Listed below are international opportunities available to Carleton students to study, intern, research, volunteer, and more.

Study Abroad

Exchange Program

Ontario Universities International (OUI) Summer Language, Culture, and Research Programs

  • Various application dates; program takes place during the summer months
  • OUI Summer Programs in China, France, Germany, and India

Queen’s Herstmonceux Castle, Bader International Study Centre

  • Various application dates and deadlines for summer school and summer specialized programs
  • Herstmonceux Castle, U.K.
  • Spend a semester studying at the Herstmonceux Castle at the Bader International Study Centre in England

Intern Abroad

Washington Center Internship Program

  • Various application and program dates
  • Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
  • This is a unique opportunity to work and learn in Washington, D.C.. for academic credit. The largest program of its kind, The Washington Center has 70 full-time staff and over 40,000 alumni, many of whom are in leadership positions in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors.

International Experience Canada

  • Various dates and deadlines
  • IEC is available in countries that have a bilateral youth mobility arrangement with Canada
  • International Experience Canada (IEC) provides young Canadians the opportunity to travel and work abroad. Depending on where you would like to go, you can choose from up to three travel and work experiences

Other International Opportunities


  • MyWorldAbroad is an extensive resource for students seeking to maximize the career value of their time abroad or find work after graduation. The site is packed with 4,000 searchable resources, 300 expert articles, inspiring student stories, and much more. Your subscription is supported by Career Services and the International Student Services Office.
  • Register for free access. (Carleton University email required).

The China Study Tour

  • Look to apply in October; program takes place for two weeks in May
  • Beijing, Wuhan and Shanghai, China
  • The China Study Tour, which takes place at the beginning of May every year, gives students the opportunity to spend 2 weeks visiting China (including seeing major cultural attractions and historical sites in Beijing, Wuhan, and Shanghai) and to attend language classes and cultural sessions at the Confucius Institute at Carleton University prior to and following the trip.
  • Learn more about other programs offered by the Confucius Institute at Carleton University including non-credit Mandarin courses

The India Study Tour

  • Look to apply in late Fall term; program takes place for two weeks in late April / early May.
  • The India Study Tour takes place in Mumbai and Bengaluru, India
  • Carleton University’s Canada-India Centre for Excellence, in partnership with Carleton International, is pleased to offer Carleton students a 2-week study program to India. Students will visit Mumbai, India’s financial and cultural hub, and Bengaluru, India’s “Silicon Valley”. The program will offer students a glimpse of cultural and business practices of one of the world’s oldest civilizations and fastest growing large economies.

Alternative Spring Break (Student Experience Office)

  • Look to apply in September; program takes place during the academic year; travel period is during February reading week
  • Various locations in Canada and countries in Central/South America
  • Alternative Spring Break (ASB) is an immersive year-long program organized by the Student Experience Office, that culminates with a week of social engagement and service-learning with a partner organization during reading week in February. The reading week experience is preceded by months of preparation, which includes listening to guest speaker seminars, watching fascinating documentaries and learning about a specific topic or theme such as poverty, human rights or environmentalism, all considered through the lens of the global community.

Mitacs Globalink Research Internship (Carleton International)

  • Look to apply in June; program takes place between May and September
  • Locations in Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Turkey, Vietnam
  • Mitacs is a national, private not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered unique research and training programs in Canada for 15 years. Mitacs has a series of international programs which provide two-way knowledge and talent exchange between key partner countries and Canada. Such international opportunities provide a means to expand Canada’s academic connections facilitating the exchange of knowledge and ideas.

Intercultural Experiences on Campus

  • The ISSO offers various work and volunteer opportunities where you will get the chance to meet students from all over the world, learn about different cultures, and build on valuable skills for the workplace. Our recruitment process for these positions usually takes place around every February and March.
  • Visit our Work/Volunteer at the ISSO page to apply
  • Partners contact the International Student Services Office with new opportunities regularly.  Visit this site often to see new opportunities to go abroad. Also, be sure to check out International Education Week in November, as more information will be provided at that time.