1. Summer Programs
  2. Application Period
  3. Application Instructions
  4. Pre-departure

UPDATE: In keeping with the February 2nd announcement that the Summer 2021 term at Carleton will be held mostly online, the university has decided that there will be no in-person outbound mobility for students during the summer months

Students with questions can email isso@carleton.ca for additional guidance.

Summer Programs

  • 2021 Summer Language Program (SLP): Improve your French-language skills with one-month intensive training in France at:
    • Université Grenoble Alpes (CUEF)
    • Université Jean Monnet, St. Étienne (CILEC)
  • 2021 Summer Research Program (SRP): Opportunity to do research in a French lab over the summer months at:
    • École Centrale de Lyon
    • École Normale Supérieure de Lyon
    • Institut National des Sciences Appliquées (INSA Lyon)
    • Institut Polytechnique de Grenoble (Grenoble INP)
    • Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1
    • Université Grenoble Alpes
    • Université Jean Monnet, St. Étienne
    • Université Savoie Mont Blanc

Application Period

  • 2021 SLP Program: Applications are closed
  • 2021 SRP Program: Applications are closed

Application Instructions

Students must meet the eligibility requirements set out by Carleton University and the host institution and/or program office. Should you wish to apply for a program, the following documents are mandatory:

  1. The ISSO – OUI Summer Program Application
  2. A scanned copy of your completed Consent to Publish Student Information Form (please have it ready to upload at the time of application)
  3. $30.00 CDN application fee (payable by Visa or MasterCard).  The application fee is non-refundable.
  4. Submit to the ISSO, the ORA Program-Specific Application package: See above “Application Period”.

Once you have submitted your application for consideration, the ISSO will contact a Registrar Specialist to officially review your eligibility. 


Once admitted into the summer program, please prepare the following:

  1. Liability Waiver (read and understand, submit to ISSO)
  2. Consulate Affairs / Proof of Insurance (submit to ISSO)
  3. Host Institution/Program Application Form (if applicable)
  4. Next steps to be eligible for transfer of credits:
    1. Undergraduate students will receive an approval/instructional email from the Registrar’s Office, which states:
      1. Upon your return you must submit complete documentation of the course (i.e. course work binder) along with your official transcript of the grade to the Registrar’s Office to be considered for credit transfer.  The deadline to submit course work binders and official transcripts is October 30th.
      2. When submitting your course work binder and official transcript you will be asked to complete an International Summer Language Program Letter of Permission and will be charged the per course LOP fee at that time
    2. Graduate students check with department and the ISSO for approval
  5. Follow the instructions on our Travel Tips page, including how to register in the CU Travel Registry.