How Can I Apply to Attend Carleton University on Exchange?
1. Be nominated by your home institution
To apply to Carleton as an exchange student, you must be nominated for exchange through the international office at a current exchange partner- see the list of our current partners here. Exchange students pay tuition to their home institution during their time at Carleton.
- To study during Fall Term (September to December): by March 15
- To study during Winter Term (January to April): by September 15
2. Complete the Incoming Exchange Application Form and Supporting Documents
Application Submission Deadlines
- To study during Fall Term (September to December): April 15
- To study during Winter Term (January to April): October 15
Steps for Completing the Application
Please carefully follow the steps below in order to complete the form. A checklist is also provided in the downloadable form.
- Read important course selection information and note which courses are NOT available for exchange students. You will need to take a look at this information before you fill out the form.
- Complete the Incoming Exchange Application Form below. Applications must be typed. Hand written forms will not be accepted.
- Submit an official transcript. The document should be an original and officially translated into English.
- Submit official proof of English proficiency if you are applying from a country in which English is not the dominant language. Documents should be original, with test dates no more than 24 months from the time of application, and should be officially translated into English. The minimum scores required for:
- Undergraduate Students:
- Internet Based TOEFL (iBT): 86 (minimum of 22 in writing and speaking, 20 in reading and listening)
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 6.0 in each band)
- CAEL: 70
- CEFR: Level C1 or C2
- Graduate Students:
- Internet Based TOEFL (iBT/ Next Generation): 100 (minimum of 25 in writing, speaking, reading and listening)
- Paper Based TOEFL (PBT): 580
- IELTS: 8.0 (minimum of 7.5 in each band)
- CAEL: 70
- CEFR: Level C2
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)(Academic): 60 overall (minimum 60 in each Communicative Skill)
- Undergraduate Students:
- Submit copy of valid passport photo identification.
3. Have your home institution submit your application and supporting documents
All applications must be submitted by your home institution’s exchange coordinator or international office. Application forms must be typed. Hand written forms will not be accepted.
All submissions MUST include the following documents:
- Completed Incoming Exchange Application
- Official Transcript (in English)
- Copy of valid passport
- Portfolio (if applicable)
- Audition for performance courses in Music (if applicable)
- Official proof of English language proficiency (if applicable)
All original application documents must:
- Be emailed to email@example.com; AND
- Sent by mail or courier to:
Nancy Leslie, International Student Services Office
128 University Centre, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON, Canada K1S 5B6
Telephone: +1 (613) 520-6600
4. Check your e-mail for updates
After you have submitted your Application Form, the ISSO will review your application. Data on the application will be processed for student profile and student number. Applicants who apply by the application deadline will receive their student number in a Letter of Acceptance sent to the email indicated on the application form. In this letter, you will find your Carleton University Identification Number (CUID), which will allow you to set up your Carleton email on Carleton Central, and apply for on-campus housing, should you wish to do so. Request for courses indicated on page 3 of the application are sent for departmental approval. Students who indicate courses in more than one discipline will have their request sent to each department for approval. If you require a student visa, submit a copy of this Letter of Acceptance with your visa application to the nearest Canadian Embassy/Consulate/High Commission.
- Fall Term (September- December): April 15th, Letter of Acceptance sent by June
- Winter Term (January- April), October 15th, Letter of Acceptance sent by mid-November
Note that after the letter of acceptance is sent, Carleton University will only contact students via their Carleton email address and students must check their account regularly for important messages and updates.
Once your application has been submitted, consult our Pre-Arrival Instructions for important information on the next steps of preparing yourself to come to Carleton.
Questions? Contact the Exchange Program Coordinator:
- Tel: +1 (613) 520- 6600