- What is study abroad?
- How can I apply for study abroad at Carleton?
The study abroad program at Carleton is designed for undergraduate students who wish to study temporarily at Carleton and whose home institution is not one of our formal exchange partners. The study abroad program is not offered at the Graduate level. Study abroad students may study at Carleton for one or two academic terms, (Fall, Winter or Fall/Winter). As a study abroad student, you pay international tuition fees to Carleton.
There are several steps that are required before studying at Carleton as a study abroad student. Carefully review the steps below and feel free to contact us should you require further information.
In submitting your application for study abroad to Carleton University, it is important to ensure that all requirements are completed and uploaded.
Please use the following checklist for submission and supporting documentation:
- Incoming study abroad application form.
- For course selection, applicants are required to provide a list of pre-requisites for upper year course selection. Lack of sufficient pre-requisites can cause delays in processing. All applicants must present adequate evidence of sufficient preparation/background for the courses they are interested in by providing descriptions (in English) of the courses they have taken. A course number and title is not sufficient. Please the list of Courses Not Available that are not open to study abroad students.
- Official transcript (academic record) included. Document must be an original or endorsed by the home institution and translated into English.
- Portfolio for Architecture, Industrial Design, or Interactive Multimedia Design (IMD) course(s) (if applicable).
- Audition for performance course(s) in Music (if applicable).
- Official proof of English proficiency (if applicable):
- Document must be original and translated into English.
- Your test date should be no more than 24 months from the time of your application
- Minimum test scores required:
- Internet Based TOEFL (iBT): 86 (minimum of 22 in writing, 20 in reading and listening)
- Computer Based TOEFL (CBT): 237
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 6.0 in each band)
- CAEL: 70
- CEFR: Level C1 or C2
We look forward to considering your application. Upon completion, a copy of your application will be sent to your email automatically.
- Undergraduate Courses
- Public Class Schedule [check to ensure that your course is offered in the appropriate term(s) of study]
- Courses Not Available
Be sure to read the section on course selection very carefully and to include all course pre-requisite information. Do not select a course if you do not have the background knowledge.
|Study Period||Application Deadline
|Fall term (September – December)||June 15|
|Full Year (September – April)||June 15|
|Winter term (January – April)||October 15|
After you have submitted your application form, the ISSO will review your application. Upon acceptance to the study abroad program, the ISSO will send you your letter of acceptance. In the letter you will find your Carleton University Identification Number (CUID), which you will use to set up you Carleton Central account and to apply for on-campus housing, if required. If you require a student visa, submit a copy of this letter with your application to the nearest Canadian Embassy/Consulate/High Commission.
Once you have received your letter of acceptance, there are several important steps that should be taken. Please review the pre-arrival information for important steps that you should take before arriving at Carleton.
Questions? Contact the International Student Services Office:
email@example.com or +1 (613) 520-6600