If you are enrolled as a Carleton student and have dependents (children and/or spouse) with you in Canada, you must enroll them in UHIP (University Health Insurance) plan.  You can do so by coming to the International Student Services Office (ISSO) to complete a UHIP enrollment form.]

The UHIP amount to be paid for your dependents will be calculated from their arrival date in Canada and duration of their stay.  The UHIP premium will be added to to your student account.

The cost of the UHIP premium for family members depends on the number of people covered and the duration of their stay.  The UHIP Premium Table outlines the premiums on a monthly basis.

If you are a graduate student and wish to add dependents to the drug/dental plan, you must visit the GSA (Graduate Students’ Association) on the 6th floor of the University Centre.  If you are an undergraduate student, you can enroll your family members in CUSA’s (Carleton University Students’ Association) drug and dental plan. Deadline dates apply.

The UHIP coverage year follows the academic year (September 1 to August 31).  As a student, you are considered the UHIP ‘member’ and your UHIP will automatically be added to your student account, however, for dependents, you must return to the ISSO at the start of each September to add your family into UHIP.

Note: You must enroll your dependents within thirty (30) days of their arrival in Canada.  If you fail to do so, Sun Life will charge you a late administration fee of $500, plus retroactive premiums.     All plan details can be found here.