If you’re an international student living in Canada and you’re about to graduate, it’s important to consider how you will protect you and your family in case of an emergency. You may be planning to travel or stay in Canada following your graduation. If that’s the case below are some options you may wish to consider.

  • If you have received a Post Graduation Work Permit and have proof of employment for a minimum of 6 months full-time work, check to see whether or not you would qualify for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

Completing your Academic Program and graduating?

If you are completing your program in August (graduating in November) or December (graduating in February), and you are remaining in Canada, you can extend your UHIP for up to 4 months.  Call or visit the ISSO for more details.

Private Health Insurance

If you do not qualify for provincial health insurance coverage you should strongly consider purchasing private health insurance. The following are just a few options that are provided for your convenience only and do not necessarily imply an endorsement by Carleton University. ISSO or Carleton University cannot be held responsible for information and materials found on these sites. While ISSO has tried to verify all the information as much as possible, students are advised to research their options and contact the insurance company before they enroll themselves or their families into any insurance plans.

Here are some other examples of health insurance companies that you may want to consider.  Do your research and find the plan that best suits your needs.