- Encouraged to use Health and Counselling Services (HCS), 2600 CTTC Building, Carleton University
- If not, students are encouraged to visit a ‘preferred provider’ as noted below
International Visiting Researchers, Post Docs, employees and spouses and dependents:
- Student Health Network – Find a preferred provider in your area who accepts the UHIP card. Search for a medical practitioner using your postal code. This group will do direct billing to Sun Life.
- List of Walk-in Clinics and Medical Centres in Ottawa (Not all these clinics necessarily accept UHIP)
Note: If you visit a clinic that is not part of the Student Health Network, you may have to pay for the medical services upfront. Note that additional charges may apply, when visiting a clinic or medical centre off-campus. However, if you have UHIP coverage and if the services you had to pay for are covered under UHIP, you will be eligible for reimbursement. Please note that in such cases, you will have to have the claim form signed by the doctor/medical centre/hospital you visited before you can send the Claim Form to the insurance company. Attach the original invoice/bill with the claim form and send it to the Insurance Company. For your future reference, it is strongly recommended that you make a copy of all the papers you send to the insurance company.
In case of a serious medical issue:
- If you or a member of your family is hospitalized or intending to be hospitalized for more than 48 hours, it is important to notify the UHIP insurer as soon as possible of this admission.
- If you choose to be treated at or are admitted to a hospital that is not on the Preferred Hospital network, it is possible that you will have to pay expenses in addition to what UHIP pays.
- If you or a member of your family is hospitalized in a hospital not in the preferred hospital network, with 48 hours’ notice the UHIP insurer may relocate you to another hospital of its choice, if the transfer is approved by your attending physician.
- Please check the preferred hospital network listing or call the UHIP insurer, in advance, to verify whether the hospital you intend to visit currently has an agreement with the insurer at: +1 866-500-UHIP (8447) toll-free.
UHIP Administrator, ISSO, 128 University Centre, Carleton University.