UHIP is considered private insurance and not all medical provider will accept your UHIP card.  Here are some guidelines for you when looking to find a doctor/medical clinic


  • Encouraged to use Health and Counselling Services (HCS), 2600 CTTC Building, Carleton University  (Note:  for members only.  Dependents (spouse/children) cannot visit the on campus clinic).
  • If not convenient, students are encouraged to find a  ‘preferred provider* on the International Health Care Network.  This group of medical practitioners have partnered with Sun Life and will do direct billing to Sun Life, so no immediate out-of-pocket expense to you.   It is recommended you call the doctor/clinic in advance to confirm they are still a member of the ‘preferred provider network’.
  • It is not mandatory to use a ‘preferred provider’ however, it is convenient as they do direct billing to Sun Life, so there is no immediate payment required by you.

International Visiting Researchers, Post Docs, employees and spouses and dependents:

  • Unless it is an emergency, visiting faculty/staff cannot utilize the on campus clinic.
  • You are encouraged to find a medical practitioner on the International Healthcare Network . These doctors/clinics are part of the Preferred Provider Network (PPN) and will accept the UHIP card and do direct billing to Sun Life so no immediate  out-of-pocket expense for you.
  • It is recommended you call the clinic/doctor in advance to confirm if they are still part of the PPN.
  • List of Walk-in Clinics and Medical Centres in Ottawa (Not all these clinics necessarily accept UHIP)

Note:  If you visit a clinic that is not part of the Student Health Network, you may have to pay for the medical services upfront.   Note that additional administrative charges may apply when visiting a clinic or medical centre off campus.   If you have to pay up front for any medical services, you will have to complete and submit a Claim Form to Sun Life for reimbursement.   Details and information on how to complete and submit a Claim Form can be found on the UHIP website.

In case of a serious medical issue:

  • If you or a member of your family is hospitalized or intending to be hospitalized for more than 48 hours, it is important to notify the UHIP insurer as soon as possible of this admission.
  • If you choose to be treated at or are admitted to a hospital that is not on the Preferred Hospital network, it is possible that you will have to pay expenses in addition to what UHIP pays.
  • If you or a member of your family is hospitalized in a hospital not in the preferred hospital network, with 48 hours’ notice the UHIP insurer may relocate you to another hospital of its choice, if the transfer is approved by your attending physician.
  • Please check the preferred hospital network listing or call the UHIP insurer, in advance, to verify whether the hospital you intend to visit currently has an agreement with the insurer at: +1 866-500-UHIP (8447) toll-free.


UHIP Administrator, ISSO, 128 University Centre, Carleton University.