MA Program: Admission
High-achieving students from a wide variety of academic disciplines, for example: sociology, law, criminology, philosophy, political science, and history, are encouraged to apply. Students must have a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degree (or its equivalent) in a relevant field of study. In addition, the Legal Studies program also attracts students with an LL.B.
The minimum requirement for admittance into the MA Program is a B.A. Honours’s degree or the equivalent, with at least high honours standing (B+).
- Applicants without a background in law or legal studies may be required to complete one or more relevant undergraduate courses in the Department of Law and Legal Studies.
- Applicants will be considered for admission on the basis of their academic background and standing. Where relevant, previous professional experience may be taken into account.
- Candidates with particular course deficiencies may be required to register in additional courses at Carleton.
The deadlines for submitting applications for the M.A. Legal Studies program are as follows:
- Fall Admission (with consideration for financial assistance): January 15 | This is the deadline for submitting applications and supporting documents for graduate study. Candidates who meet the requirements and are applying for full time status will be considered for financial assistance.
- Fall Admission (no consideration for financial assistance): July 15 | This is the final deadline for Fall admission; however applications submitted for this deadline will not be considered for financial assistance.
- If the Department is able to consider applications for January admission, applications are due November 1.
For more information, please contact our Graduate Administrator, Andrew Squires at (613) 520 – 2600, ext. 7596 or via email at email@example.com.