Dr. Ashley Thompson is an instructor in the Neuroscience department at Carleton University. She teaches Introduction to Neurological disease and the Honours workshop for fourth year students. Ashley completed her PhD in Neuroscience at Carleton focusing on Parkinson’s disease (PD). Her doctoral research used substances that naturally occur in the brain to alter the environment of the regions known to be vulnerable in PD in order to protect those neurons from degeneration and death.
Ashley is also a member of the Society for Neuroscience (Ottawa chapter), a volunteer organization that seeks to promote the study of neuroscience to youth through a variety of outreach initiatives. Ashley is the coordinator of one such event, the Ottawa Regional Brain Bee, a neuroscience trivia competition for high school students that offers a paid summer internship in a neuroscience lab at Carleton as its top prize.
Read what participants have said they enjoyed most about Ashley’s “Introduction to Neurological Disease” lecture series:
- Ashley is passionate about discussing neuroscience – and it shows. Her energy is infectious and her knowledge of the subject very deep. She is an excellent teacher and able to translate very complex information into layman’s terms.
- Ashley is a great lecturer. She brings her knowledge and passion to the classroom and uses humour in her lectures. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her.
- Ashley is an engaging teacher. Very dynamic and well-organized. She conveyed great enthusiasm for her subject and her material was very well presented.
- Ashley is very passionate about this series and her passion was infectious throughout the 6 week lectures. She had an excellent way of explaining complex illustrations of the brain into plain and simple language. I liked how Ashley invited questions and/or comments throughout the lecture. She was very positive and upbeat and made the lectures something I looked forward to attending. I would definitely sign up for any other series that she lectures, Ashley is very smart and she had a wonderful way of making her students feel smart too.
- I loved every minute of this lecture series. Ashley is so well-prepared. The content flowed without a hitch and the slides were a perfect accompaniment. I have absolutely no background in Neurology but her pace (and ‘refreshers’) kept me in step. I now see Neurology everywhere in life. It makes sense of so many things I had previously wondered about. Because of Ashley, I am a convert.
- Ms. Thompson is a knowledgeable, concise, and enthusiastic lecturer. She had my attention for every minute of her two hour lectures. Her ability to present each topic with reference to previous lectures allowed me to see the “big picture” of the brain. I have learned so much and understood all of her lectures although I never took a biology class in my life. She is a very special lecturer and person. In my academic and business life, I have not seen many teachers, professors, lecturers, and speakers of her ability. Thank you!
- The quality and scope of the material was excellent. Ashley was very competent and personable. Also, she displayed a great sense of humor. She is very knowledgeable and an excellent communicator. I would recommend her at any time with pleasure.
- Ashley’s passion for this topic was contagious. The lecture series were well structured and informative. The presenter had a natural ability to balance the need to present material as well as engage with the class. I thoroughly enjoyed it.