Link to Sustainable Energy Programs admission.

Link to  Biomedical Engineering admission.

English as a Second Language

The language of instruction at Carleton is English. For admission into Carleton’s graduate programs, you will need to demonstrate that your knowledge and use of English are strong enough for graduate studies at an English-language university.

If your first language is not English, you can prove your language proficiency by

(a) showing that you have completed ESLA 1900 or ESLA 1905 at Carleton University with a final grade of B- or higher; or by

(b) mailing official certification (transcripts) to indicate that you have studied for the last three years (full-time, non-ESL) in a university in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom or any other country in which the primary language is English, and where the language of instruction in the relevant educational institution was exclusively English; or

(c) you can submit an English-language test result as noted in the following table.

English Language Test Score
Canadian Academic English Language Test (CAEL) 70
Paper-based TOEFL 580
Internet-based TOEFL 86 (22 in writing and speaking, 20 reading and listening)
IELTS 6.5 IELTS (min 6.0 each band)

Admission and Program Requirements

The requirements plus other information on our programs is available from the online Graduate Calendar – Graduate Programs section.  Scroll down to the specific degree that interests you.

Applying to Aerospace, Mechanical, or Materials Engineering

The application process to graduate studies at Carleton for International and Domestic students is the same and must be completed online.  For complete information regarding the application process please visit:

We offer Masters and Ph.D. programs in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering.  We offer Materials Engineering only at the Master’s level.

Applicants to the M.Eng. (Master of Engineering) Program

You should apply for admission for either Fall or Winter.  We do not offer courses in the Spring (May to August) term.  Applying to Spring term is only possible if you have already arranged with a professor to undertake either a Directed Study or an Independent Study.

For more information on our programs we direct you to the Carleton University Graduate Calendar as follows: