Transferring Your Wireless Number
Below are the different ways to transfer an existing mobile number:
Personal Account ⇒ Corporate Account
(available to FTE Continuing Staff and Faculty)
If an employee is authorized to carry a mobile device for University business, that device should be covered under a University corporate account. If an employee has a personal mobile phone number, and wishes to keep that number, it is possible to transfer the number to a University corporate account.
When transferring a number from a personal account to a corporate account please consider the following:
- If you are transferring the number from the same carrier i.e. Rogers to Rogers then the user will need to call their provider to put a note on the account indicating that they would like to transfer all liabilities to Carleton University.
- Contact the ITS Service Desk to request the transfer of liability and include the reference number provided by your provider along with your current account number and the mobile number you wish to port over.
- Depending on when the number is transferred, expect the billing to be inconsistent for a few billing cycles. There will be partial month charges on your old invoice and on the new invoice.
When transferring a number from one carrier to another make sure the number you are transferring over is “out of contract.” If it is still under contract, you will pay a termination fee to the carrier that you are leaving.
ITS will need the following two things:
- The account number or an old invoice from the carrier you are leaving
- The mobile number you wish to port over
Corporate Account ⇒ Personal Account
If an employee becomes ineligible for coverage under the University corporate accounts, he/she may wish to keep his/her mobile phone number and simply transfer the number to a personal account. It is up to each department to decide if the mobile number will be kept for further use in the department or if the employee can transfer it to a personal account. This device continues to be the property of the University and should be returned to the ITS Mobility Services upon request. If the department allows it, the corporate number can be transferred to a personal account.
When transferring a number from corporate to personal please consider the following:
- The employee must assume the liability of the line, as well as the current commitment and remain with the same provider. Personal information will be required at that time to complete a credit evaluation. Also note that the user will no longer have access to the corporate benefits. The University will no longer be liable for any charges from that date forward
- Depending on when the number is transferred, expect the billing to be inconsistent for a few billing cycles. There will be partial month charges on the former University account as well as on the new consumer account that will be created
- You will have two weeks from the time your line is released from the corporate account to call the carrier and move your number to a personal plan. After the two weeks your number will be cancelled and you will have to start a new personal account with a new number.