- Determine Your Eligibility
- Identify the Partner Universities You Would Like to Attend
- Request Permission from Your Academic References
- Complete the Online Application
- Submit Additional Supporting Documents
- Wait for a Decision
- Review Pre-Departure Information
Follow the steps below to apply to participate in the outgoing exchange program.
The following eligibility requirements must be met at the time of your application. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee participation in the program or placement at your preferred partner institution(s). See step 2 for further information.
- Undergraduate students must hold a minimum 2nd year standing in a degree program
- Undergraduate students must have completed at least one full academic year at Carleton University (4.0 credits at Carleton University)
- All students must have enough credits remaining in their degree to study full-time at the partner institution
- Graduate students must have departmental approval
- For the general Exchange Program, a minimum overall Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 7.0 in completed courses is required
- Students are expected to maintain their good academic standing through to their departure on exchange
- Because space in the Exchange Program is limited, placements are determined firstly by CGPA ranking
- For the Killam Fellowships Program, a minimum overall CGPA of 10.0 in completed courses is required
- For Architecture students, a minimum overall CGPA of 8.0 and 10.0 studio GPA is required
- Engineering students must consult their academic advisor about eligibility
- Bachelor of International Business students must refer to the Sprott School of Business for eligibility requirements
Before applying, you should also review the important financial considerations listed on our Before You Apply page.
- Review our list of Carleton University’s partner institutions. Researching the partner institutions is your responsibility; please see our Before You Apply page for tips on what you should consider in your research.
- Rank your top choices. Remember to consider any restrictions indicated on the partner institution list; not all exchange partners are open to all students. You will need to rank up to three (3) preferred institutions on your application. We strongly recommend that you consider all three of your choices carefully. While the ISSO makes every reasonable effort to place accepted students at their preferred partner institution, due to the competitive nature of the Exchange Program we cannot make guarantees. Identifying three preferred partners helps the Exchange Team place you at a partner that is a good fit for your interests and goals.
As part of the online application in Carleton Central, you will need to identify and provide the contact information for two (2) academic references (professors, not teaching assistants). Actual reference letters are not required at the time of application (see note below for exceptions). Please ask permission from your professors before listing them as a reference.
While letters of reference are not required for the general Exchange Program at the time of application, reference letters may be required by the specific partner institution you will be attending later in the process. References should be willing to provide this documentation at a later date if required (timeline varies depending on the partner institution you are attending and their internal application deadlines).
Note: The Ontario Universities International (OJS; ORA; OBW; OIN) Exchange Programs and the Killam Fellowships Program require additional application packages including reference letters or reference forms. Please review the application requirements for these programs carefully and allow ample time for your professors to complete and submit these documents before the deadline(s).
Applications (including any required supporting documents) must be submitted by the deadline(s).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I find the online application? You will find the general Exchange Program application under the heading “Student Online Applications” on the main page of Carleton Central. The application is called “Outgoing International Exchange Application.”
- How do I know if I am eligible to apply? Please review the eligibility requirements listed above. The first step in the online application process is an automatic review of your eligibility. If you do not meet the requirements, we encourage you to review the reason(s) why and to apply again in the next exchange cycle. If you have met the eligibility requirements, the application will allow you to proceed to the next step (note: satisfying the preliminary eligibility review at the time of application only guarantees that your application will be considered; it does not guarantee acceptance to the Exchange Program).
- Do I have to complete the entire application at once? No, you will have the ability to save your progress at each stage of the application and come back later. Your completed application must be submitted by the deadline listed above. No late applications will be accepted.
- What information should I have with me when I sit down to apply?
- Your top three partner institutions (please research your preferred institutions carefully before applying).
- Know which term(s) you wish to apply for (Fall, Winter, or Full Year). Make note of approximate semester start and end dates at your preferred institutions. Bachelor of International Business (B.I.B) student must apply for the full year.
- Have the names and contact information of your two academic references. Please ask permission from your professors before listing them as a reference.
- A scanned copy of your completed Consent to Publish Form. Graduate students must also have a scanned copy of their completed Acknowledgement for Exchange Form.
- Responses for the short-answer assessment questions regarding your motivations and objectives for the Exchange Program. There are no right or wrong answers; these questions are an opportunity for you tell the Exchange Team a bit more about yourself and your goals. Because space in the Exchange Program is limited, we place students firstly on academic performance and, as a secondary measure, on the assessment questions.
- Method of payment for the application fee (Visa or Mastercard).
- How much is the application fee? There is a non-refundable application fee of $80.00 CDN that is payable by Visa or Master card. The application fee is non-refundable. For the Bachelor of International Business students, the application form will automatically bypass the fee payment requirement.
- Can I make changes to my application once I have submitted it? No. Please make sure your application is complete and accurate when you submit.
- What do I do after I have submitted my application? You will receive an automatic confirmation email after your application is successfully submitted. Decision emails will be sent in February. It is important to check your Carleton e-mail regularly for updates. You can also review your application periodically on Carleton Central to see if there are any status updates.
- Who do I contact if I have questions about the application? Please email the Exchange Team at email@example.com -> Include your name, Carleton ID number, and level of study (Undergraduate or Graduate).
The following supporting documents are required at the time of application. If you are accepted to the Exchange Program, additional forms will be required at a later date. Please review the Pre-Departure Information page for details.
ALL Outgoing Exchange Students (including graduate students)
- Consent to Publish Form. Download and print the form. Review document and sign page 2, Section C. Save pages 1 and 2 of the Consent form as one PDF document. Then upload this document into your exchange application in Carleton Central.
GRADUATE Outgoing Exchange Students
- Graduate Student Acknowledgement for Exchange. Download and print the form. Review document and sign. Scan and upload to your application.
OUI Application Package
If you are applying to an Ontario Universities International (OJS, ORA, OBW, OIN) Exchange Program, you will need to complete and submit the program-specific application package (hard-copy) in addition to your Carleton Central exchange application. Please begin your OUI application well in advance of the deadline to allow ample time for the required documents to be collected.
- Apply online on Carleton Central by the application deadline.
- Submit the OUI application package to the ISSO by January 15, 2021.
Killam Fellowships Program Application Package
If you are applying to the Killam Fellowships Program, you will need to complete and submit the Killam Fellowships application package (hard-copy) in addition to your Carleton Central exchange application. Please begin your Killam application well in advance of the deadline to allow ample time for the required documents to be collected.
- Apply online on Carleton Central by the application deadline.
- Killam application package submitted online by January 15, 2021.
Application decisions are available by mid-February. At this point, you will be notified (sent to your Carleton email) whether you have been accepted to the exchange program and to which partner institution you will be nominated by Carleton University.
Once you have received your notification, accept or decline your nomination in Carleton Central. Accepting your nomination will progress your application to the next stage and the Exchange Team will nominate you to the host institution. Declining your nomination will close your application and you will need to contact the Exchange Team (ISSO, 128 UC) as soon as possible if you still wish to participate in the exchange.
- Ontario Universities International (OJS, ORA, OBW, ORA): You will be notified by mid-February if you have been accepted to the Carleton University Exchange Program. Your Ontario Universities International results (including the OUI partner to which you will be nominated) will be available in March/April.
- Killam Fellowships Program: You will be notified by mid-February if you have been accepted to the Carleton University Exchange Program. The results of your Killam Fellowships application will be available in early April.
Please visit the Pre-Departure Information page to review the next steps in the application process.
Stay connected to the Exchange Team. Any changes to your academic situation are important. Make sure you communicate with your departmental adviser, your registrar specialist, and most importantly, your exchange coordinator. Visit the exchange page on the Registrar’s Office website for more information.
Check your Carleton email account regularly and follow the ISSO on social media (@CarletonISSO).