NPSIA-PT&D is pleased to announce that we are transitioning our Negotiation training from in-person workshops to an on-line, video-conferencing platform to meet the learning challenges presented by COVID-19. Our pilot offering is the Certificate in Bilateral Intergovernmental (Federal, Territorial and Provincial) Negotiating workshop featuring the Sage Bargaining method scheduled for later this Summer 2020.
Dates: Monday, September 21 and Tuesday, September 22, 2020
- Wednesday, October 21 and Thursday, October 22, 2020
- Monday, November 16 and Tuesday, November 17, 2020
- Monday, December 14 and Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Registration: registration is now open. Before proceeding please review our cancellation and withdrawal policies here.
To register and have an invoice issued for payment please download our registration form here.
Training Location: Video-conference and File-sharing
Time: 9:00 AM – 4 PM, daily
Fee: $ 1,000 + HST
Note. NPSIA and NPSIA-PT&D alumni along with members of the Ottawa Diplomatic Association may register at the alumni rate of $950.00 + HST.
Our pilot offering is the Certificate in Bilateral Intergovernmental (Federal, Territorial and Provincial) Negotiating workshop featuring the Sage Bargaining method, an analytical tool developed to assist in the establishment of priorities, assessment of value trade-offs, and the management of the negotiation process. The program also demonstrates the use of various approaches and techniques employed in negotiating, including the selection and application of appropriate strategies and tactics. The analysis and negotiating skills are applied directly in simulated bilateral intergovernmental negotiations, and concrete analytical tools are provided for subsequent use in monitoring and managing complex intergovernmental affairs.
Skills learnt in this workshop are applicable to informal processes and in more formal negotiations, at both bilateral and multilateral levels. The emphasis is on developing those capabilities needed to achieve the best outcomes when undertaking complex negotiations.
This Sage Bargaining method workshop covers the first of two steps:
- Step 1 – Bilateral Intergovernmental (2 days) and
- Step 2 – Multilateral Intergovernmental (2 days). Step 2 will be offered in video-conference format at a later date. It is also available as part of the Professional Certificate in Intergovernmental Negotiation.
Learning objectives in this course include:
• recognize and operate in the various stages of the negotiation process
• develop appropriate positions based on negotiating mandates
• avoid decision making biases to optimize interests
• estimate the presence and parameters of a zone of potential agreement in the negotiation
• develop strategic and tactical plans for negotiating
• manage the pattern and pacing of the concession-exchange negotiation process
• argue effectively and listen accurately
• develop appropriate responses for dealing with non-cooperation
To learn more about the Sage Bargaining method please click here.
Open to all practitioners of intergovernmental affairs management who have a mandate or responsibility to undertake and / or support bargaining / negotiation activities.