Study Permits

International students must maintain a valid study permit for the entire duration of their studies in Canada.  The study permit is the single document that authorizes the student to be in Canada. Most students will have to extend their study permit at some point.  It is crucial that the student be aware of the expiry date on their study permit and take steps to apply for an extension at least 2-3 months prior to the expiry date. A study permit expired for more than 90 days cannot be restored from inside Canada. In this case, the student must return home and apply for a new study permit.


No Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) document will be issued beyond the expiry date of a student’s passport.  Therefore, students should be aware of their passport expiry date.  If expiring, a passport renewal must be done before applying for a study permit extension.

Temporary Resident Visas

A TRV is the Visa which is adhered directly into the passport of many but not all international students. Depending on your country of citizenship, if one was required it would have been issued to you when you applied for your study permit.

Electronic Travel Authorities (eTA)

Citizens from Visa exempt countries do not require a TRV to enter Canada, but as of March 2016, they will require an electronic travel authorization, (eTA).  More information on eTA’s can be found here:

CIC Regulations and Compliance expectations

CIC expects all international students to be studying full time during the fall and winter semesters and steadily progressing towards completion of their program.  Full time status at Carleton means you are registered in a minimum of 1.5 credits per term, (for undergraduate students).