Philosophical training is an asset for anyone whose work requires clear thinking and the ability to analyze language and organize thoughts.
- For professions such as law, where logical argument is essential, a degree in philosophy provides an excellent base.
- In the private sector, employers often value a degree in philosophy as a general stepping stone into the business world.
- Policy analysts in government and ethicists in health care and other fields require training in ethics and public affairs.
- Social policy advocates in non-governmental organizations require training in human rights, ethics, and political philosophy.
- Prospective high school teachers should have training in philosophy not only for communication skills, but also because philosophy is a subject now included in Ontario’s secondary school curriculum.