You are invited to apply to the Dr. John Davis Burton Award if you are eligible. The award was created in the memory of Dr. John Davis Burton Award who was a champion and advocate for persons with disabilities. He made significant contributions toward awareness, equity, and integration of persons with disabilities throughout his career as an educator and coordinator of educational support services both at Carleton University and Algonquin College. This award is given annually to a deserving student who is enrolled at Algonquin College, Carleton University, La Cité Collègiale or the University of Ottawa. Candidates applying to the Dr. John Davis Burton Award should demonstrate:
- Significant contribution toward awareness, equity, and integration of persons with disabilities
- Some of the traits for which Dr. Burton was most noted: perseverance, dedication, and a strong sense of community spirit
- Enrollment as a special, part-time or full-time student in one of the four participating institutions
- Good academic standing
- Preference will be given to students returning to one of the institutions.
- Preference will be given to students with a learning disability, then to students with other disabilities, and finally to all other students.
The deadline to apply is May 31st.