As a Scribe you will work one-on-one with registered PMC students with mobility limitations to support classroom learning, testing, or assignment-completion. You will facilitate the typed and/or written responses as formulated by the student, as close to verbatim as possible.
Position Details and Expectations
- Check-in with supervisors
- Annually for availability
- Regularly for scheduling
- Complete the AODA and PMC training (provided)
- Arrive on time and prepared for scheduled shifts
- Be patient, empathetic, and maintain confidentiality while remaining objective
- Create and maintain professional boundaries
- Create and maintain the boundaries between verbatim-scribing and editing/proofreading
- Have excellent reading and writing skills
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ask for clarity when necessary
Scribes should know that
- Scribe Rate of Pay is $15/hour as determined by the Ministry of Education
- Shifts take place at pre-scheduled times, at various locations on the Carleton Campus unless otherwise discussed and approved by the Scribe regarding availability.
- Medium – typically range from 2-6 hours per week (1 or 2 Semesters –depending on student course load and testing requirements)
- Time of day determined by class schedule and availability
Benefits to Joining the PMC Community
- Contribute to the culture of accessibility and effect positive change at Carleton University
- Acquire sought after knowledge, skills and experiences for future employment
- Gain references and experience to put on your resume and discuss at your interview
- Recognition of volunteer time on your transcript through the Carleton Co-Curricular Record (CCR)
The Paul Menton Centre welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Apply using the form below if you are interested in becoming a Scribe with the PMC.
If you have any questions or concerns please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: PMC Voluneteer — Scribe.