Tutors work one-on-one with students registered with the PMC who require academic support in learning and understanding course material. The tutor acts as a coach and mentor by integrating academic support with the development of effective learning strategies and study habits. The main goal is to provide students with in-depth support while at the same time imparting skills to maximize the likelihood of future success and independence of the student.
The demand for tutors in specific content areas will depend on students’ needs from term to term. When we get a request for a tutor we check our Tutor Database of applicants who have applied to become tutors. If we cannot find a match, we will post an advertisement in the department for which a tutor is requested.
Qualifications and Required Skills
- Solid academic standing (min. B+ grade) in the courses for which you wish to tutor;
- A comprehensive understanding and mastery of course content is ESSENTIAL
- Excellent social and communication skills
- Demonstrated patience and empathy working with others
- Flexibility and creativity, particularly with adapting teaching style to meet students’ individualized needs
- Client confidentiality
- Develop and refine ones teaching and mentoring abilities
- Opportunity to demonstrate innovation
- Opportunity to learn about a wide range of disabilities and issues related to disability services at the post-secondary level
- Opportunity to learn adaptive technologies (e.g., Inspiration©, Dragon NS©, and Kurzweil 3000©)
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Excellent addition to résumé and, upon request, access to a letter of reference
- Increased awareness of inclusion and accommodation
- The personal satisfaction of helping to make someone’s experience at the post-secondary level a positive one
- Flexible hours
- Recognition of volunteer time on your transcript through the Carleton Co-Curricular Record (CCR)
Time Commitment: Tutors spend a maximum of two hours per week with students unless otherwise approved by a PMC Coordinator.
Deadline to Apply: Ongoing
If you are interested in applying to become a Tutor please fill and submit the form below.
- You will be called if there is a match with your qualifications and a student’s request.
- If accepted, you will sign a contract with the PMC and you will be given the student’s contact information.
If you have any questions or concerns please email us at:
or call 613-520-6608.