Time Commitment: Variable (to be negotiated with clients)
Rate of Pay:
Undergraduate: $15 per hour ($20 per hour with training)
Graduate: M.A. $20 per hour ($25 per hour with training or relevant experience)
Graduate: Ph.D.: $25 per hour ($30-35 per hour with training or relevant experience)
Purpose of Program and Primary Responsibilities: Content Tutors work one-on-one with students registered with the PMC who require academic support in learning and understanding course material. The tutor acts as a coach and mentor by integrating academic support with the development of effective learning strategies and study habits. The main goal is to provide students with in-depth support while at the same time imparting skills to maximize the likelihood of future success and independence of the student.
*Note: PMC tutor training takes place in early September and includes sessions on topics ranging from specific disabilities (e.g., psychiatric, physical, visual, hearing, learning and attention) to learning strategies (e.g. time management, reading, notetaking and writing), boundaries, confidentiality, and the referral process.
How will this position develop or enhance a candidate’s leadership skills?
- Expand understanding of individuals with diverse needs
- Increased awareness of inclusion and accommodation
- Experience working independently with some supervision
- Excellent addition to résumé and access to letters of reference upon request
- Valuable experience for those wishing to work in a helping profession in the future. We have trained future teachers, doctors, social workers, and counselors, among other professionals.
- A comprehensive understanding and mastery of course content is ESSENTIAL
- A minimum ‘A-’ in the course you wish to tutor
- Excellent social and communication skills
- Demonstrated patience and empathy working with others
- Flexibility and creativity, particularly with adapting teaching style to meet students’ unique needs
- Professionalism and confidentiality
Application – complete online form below. You will be contacted for your resume and unofficial transcript (audit from Carleton Central). Thank you for applying.
Deadline to Apply: Ongoing (training takes place in Early September)
Questions: Please contact PMC or email@example.com.