About the Professional Achievement Awards for Professional Librarians
The purpose of this award is to recognize outstanding professional achievements by professional librarians at Carleton University.
There are two (2) awards valued at $10,000 each. The winner may choose to have this award as a lump sum payment, which will be taxed as salary income or added to his/her Professional Expense reimbursement. A Professional Expense Reimbursement is not taxed and must be claimed against original receipts.
Based on past practice, all librarian members of the bargaining unit, with the exception of those in their first year of employment, are eligible for the annual awards.
Award recipients will be eligible to apply for further awards in the Fall term of the seventh (7th) year following the year in which the previous award was received. For example, if you receive an award on May 1, 2014, you will be eligible to apply for another Professional Achievement Award for Professional Librarians in the fall term of 2021. However, awards received prior to May 31, 2013 shall not impact on an employee’s eligibility to apply for this award.
There is no application or nomination form required.
The following are mandatory components of the nomination or application package:
- Nomination letter or application letter
- Current C.V. (if not provided with nomination)
- List of previous Professional Achievement Awards for Professional Librarians and years awarded, if applicable
The following are not mandatory, but will enhance the nomination or application package:
- Letter(s) of support
- Statement from nominee or applicant of why s/he deserves the award
Nominations must be made to the Peer Evaluation Committee
The Peer Evaluation Committee must submit its selections to the University Librarian by November 20. For details on the deadline for submissions to the Peer Evaluation committee, please consult with the University Librarian.
Recommendations are made by the Peer Evaluation Committee to the University Librarian. Subject to Article 42.4(b)(ii) of the Collective Agreement, the Committee’s recommendation shall be final and binding. The University Librarian reports the decisions of the Peer Evaluation Committee to the Provost and Vice-President Academic).
The Peer Evaluation Committee will look for exception achievement in one or more of the following areas (above and beyond regular job duties):
- Improving Library services and operations
- Facilitating access to technology and scholarly resources
- Leadership in communications, management, or public outreach and relations
- Contributions to instruction, teaching and learning
- Engagement in research and scholarly pursuits within or external to Carleton University
- Participation in University committees and initiatives beyond the library
Recommendations will be made by the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) to the President and Vice Chancellor by December 21. The awards will be conferred on May 1 of the following year. The award may be deferred by the recipient for reasonable cause for up to one (1) year.
This award is governed by the Collective Agreement between Carleton University and CUASA, Article 42.4: Professional Achievement Awards. For additional information, please contact the University Librarian.