Ranked among Canada’s top psychology departments, Carleton University’s Department of Psychology is a top ten leader in research, representing the future of psychology discovery.
The strength of our graduate program lies in the highly productive research faculty, well-organized programs of study, extensive opportunities for student-faculty interaction, and rich offering of research specializations.
The Master of Arts (MA) program allows students to gain the essential tools to conduct empirical research, while the Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is strongly research-oriented and emphasizes hands-on training. In addition to exciting opportunities for developing research collaborations within the department and across the University, students can enroll in a range of graduate courses and participate in community practica.
Please visit our Graduate Research Showcase to read papers authored by current graduate students in our MA and Ph.D. programs.
Some examples of research questions include:
- Are healthier employees more productive and engaged employees?
- Can procrastination undermine our well-being and health?
- How do people adapt to life-changing events?
- Should introverts act more like extroverts?
- Can future violent behaviour be predicted?
- How can virtual reality be used to train pilots?
- How does understanding children’s thinking help teachers and parents?
- How does sports participation impact a child’s self-esteem?