Ph.D. in Psychology
- A program of study and research in the psychology field leading to the degree of Doctorate of Philosophy
- Strongly research-oriented, although practical courses such as quantitative methods, testing and behaviour modification are available
- Students admitted to the PhD in Psychology have the opportunity to pursue a Concentration in Quantitative Methodology.
- Graduates from both our MA and PhD programs have found employment as social science researchers in a variety of venues including academia (postdoctoral research positions and tenure-track faculty positions), federal government agencies (Department of National Defence, Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, National Research Council, Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services and Transport Canada), educational settings (school boards; early childhood agencies), health-related agencies, hospital settings (the Eye Institute at the Ottawa General Hospital, the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario) and private companies such as Telus Health Solutions.
- This degree does not offer training in applied areas (e.g. clinical, educational, counselling psychology, etc)
“I have recently finished my PhD degree in Psychology at Carleton University. I joined the department as a Master student in Sep 2009. Since then, I have gained valuable experience in research methods, especially statistics, and teaching through various opportunities offered by the department. While studying here, I met mentors and colleagues that have become an essential part of my professional and social networks. In addition to knowledgeable professors and awesome fellow students, I am also grateful to be in a department with stellar staff, who have always given me wholehearted support when I was going through difficult times. Doing graduate studies here has been a truly intellectually stimulating and international experience for me.”
Chunyun Ma, Ph.D. (2017