Applicants will normally hold a master’s degree in Psychology (or equivalent) with at least an A- average GPA (80%), completion of a research thesis, and two strong letters of reference. In addition to transcripts and letters of reference, application packages will include a statement of interest outlining the applicant’s proposed area of doctoral research. Applicants judged to be deficient in preparation may be asked to complete course work in addition to the Ph.D. program requirements. The scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are not required.
*These are the minimum requirements for applicants however competition is high and final acceptance decisions are made on a comparison basis. We only select the top candidates for admission and therefore meeting the minimum requirements does not automatically gain acceptance into the program.
Proficiency in English
Proficiency in English is necessary to pursue graduate studies at Carleton University. All applicants whose first language is not English must satisfy this requirement in one of the following ways:
- To present an official overall score of 70 on the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment; or
- To present an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 580 on the paper-based test (PBT), or an overall score of 86 on the internet-based test (IBT) with a minimum score in each component of: writing-22; speaking-22; reading-20; and listening-20; or
- To present an official overall International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in each band score; or
- To have completed ESLA 1900 or ESLA 1905 at Carleton University with a final grade of B- or higher; or
- To present official certification (transcripts) to indicate that you have studied for the last three years (full-time, non-ESL) in a university in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom or any other country in which the primary language is English, and where the language of instruction in the relevant educational institution was exclusively English. Note: Letters from your universities stating the medium of instruction is English are not acceptable.
TOEFL codes are as follows:
0854 – Institution
58 – Psychology: Experimental / Developmental
79 – Psychology: Social
08 – Psychology: Other