The Fresh Thinking Series takes place bi-monthly on the last Tuesday of the month. All events are 12:00 – 1:00pm and participants are free to stay until 1:30pm to socialize and connect with colleagues. Feel free to bring your own lunch. Coffee, tea and snacks are always provided (when the venue allows).
Our Next Event: ReFresh Your Creativity
Description: This event will discuss creativity as something that is not innate but rather comes from continuous practice and rigor. The event will focus on the benefits of integrating creativity into one’s work (even if one’s job is not seen as creative) and how to ‘practice’ creativity on a daily basis. We have invited Jim Davies, Mike Reynolds, and Laura Storey to talk to you about their creative interests and how they ‘practice creativity’ on a daily basis and how it impacts and benefits their work.
Interests of our guests:
Laura Storey, Director of Housing – humour and comedy.
Mike Reynolds, Communications Officer – writing, blogging , creative projects with his family.
Jim Davies, Associate Professor in Cognitive Science – imagination, music, playwriting, poetry, calligraphy, and dance.
Where & When: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 12:00 – 1:00pm in the Discovery Centre, MacOdrum Library.
Food: healthy lunch snacks will be provided. Please bring a coffee or tea in a covered cup.
Register for this event HERE
Past Fresh Thinking Events and Topics
- January 27, 2015 – Social Media Makeovers
- November 25, 2014 – What Makes a Great Boss?
- September 30, 2014 – Learning and Professional Development
- May 8, 2014 (Campus Roundtable: Faculty and Staff Collaboration at Carleton)
- April 29, 2014 (Women in Leadership, partnering with FGPA)
- March 25, 2014 (Library Services for Faculty and Staff)
- January 28, 2014 (Social Media Strategy @ Carleton)
- November 26, 2013 (Guest Speaker – Learning and Professional Development)
- September 24, 2013 (Debate – Publicly-funded universities have the responsibility to train students for employment)
- August 27, 2013 (Guest Speaker – How Research is Helping to Solve the Procrastination Puzzle)
- July 30, 2013 (Guest Speaker – Decision-Making at Carleton)
- June 25, 2013 (Demo – SoapBox for Ideas@Carleton: A First Look)
- May 28, 2013 (One-year anniversary celebration)
- April 30, 2013 (Panel Discussion – Best Practices in Supervising and Developing Student Staff/Leaders)
- March 26, 2013 (Guest Speaker – Lighten Up, Link Up: Tips and Icebreakers to Engage Your Audience)
- February 26, 2013 (Guest Speaker – Insight for Difficult Conversations)
- January 29, 2013 (Guest Speaker – DIY Benchmarking)
- November 27, 2012 (Guest Speaker – Crafting Effective Communications)
- October 30, 2012 (Guest Speaker – Departmental Orientation for New Staff)
- September 25, 2012 (Guest Speaker – Coaching and Mentoring)
- August 28, 2012 (Guest Speaker – Getting Started with Social Media)
- July 31, 2012 (Guest Speaker – Leadership Competencies at Carleton)
- June 26, 2012 (Guest Speaker – Low-cost Tools for the Office)
- May 29, 2012 (Guest Speaker – The Benefits of Interoffice Engagement)
Content for monthly meetings is provided by The Fresh Thinking Planning Group. Although we look for feedback on the content of these meetings, a typical agenda will be as follows:
Guest Speaker (12:00 – 12:30pm)
Each month a guest speaker from the community will be invited to speak on a topic of interest. This could be something practical, theoretical, specific, or general interest. If you have a topic that may be of interest to the group or know an external speaker that would be willing to share their time, submit your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org. There will always be time allotted for questions and discussion.
Discussion (12:30 – 12:50pm)
The discussion component of the agenda will allow members to share interact with each other in a variety of methods. Past discussions included sharing challenges, brainstorming ideas, and discussing videos clips. Ideas for the discussion component can be emailed to email@example.com for inclusion on the agenda.
News and Events (12:50 – 1:00pm)
A member of the Office of Quality Initiatives will share any news or events that the community would be interested in and get feedback from the community about the format and content of the monthly meetings.
Social Mixer (1:00 – 1:30pm)
The final 30 minutes of each meeting will be open for a social mixer should you wish to stay and chat one-on-one with other community members. Snacks and coffee/tea will be provided for this purpose.