Employment Domain Area Committee
Employment Domain Area Committee (DAC)
The purpose of the Employment DAC is to bring together individuals and organizations from across Canada to address the persistent and significant gap in employment rates between Canadians with and without disabilities.
There are many employment initiatives and organizations at the provincial and federal level that can benefit from collaboration and create more coordinated services through CAN. The Employment DAC recognizes that employment equity for persons with disabilities is not a one-sided effort.
They strive to bring together organizations that are focus on supporting the employment objectives of persons with disabilities and employers looking to create more equitable employee recruiting, onboarding, and support practices. The Employment DAC believes that employment equity for persons with disabilities benefits all Canadians.
Employment DAC’s Priorities for the 21/22 Operating Year
Currently, the Employment DAC is working on the following strategic priorities:
- Drafting a position statement on employment equity to be adopted by CAN.
- Identifying notable “disability confidence” strategies and practices that support the development of disability confidence, including identifying existing opportunities for accreditation or certification.
- Conducting an environmental scan of employers across Canada with notable practices and resources in place to support employment for persons with disabilities.
Other activities that they may be involved in include, but are not limited to:
- Employment skills development
- Accessible hiring, transition and onboarding
- Workplace accommodations/adaptations, and assessment of needs
- Accessibility of workplaces and organizations
- Employer training and awareness
- Business case and disability market
The Role of DAC Members, Meetings and Time Commitment
DAC members are appointed to a one- or two-year role to work with the Committee. Members are involved in enacting the business of the Network, as it relates to the strategic priorities of the working group (as noted above).
DAC meetings happen bi-monthly (approximately 6 times per year) for up to 2 hours at each meeting – see Current Meeting Schedule.
There is an expectation that in addition to these meetings, members can anticipate that there will be an additional three to five hours a month (approx.) commitment that is outside of required meeting times that is dedicated to contributing towards the work of each Domain Area Committee. This time is dependent on the agreed upon work plan for the operating year and will fluctuate.
Please see Terms of Reference for the Employment Committee for more information on the governance of this Committee.
If you are interested in the work of the Employment DAC, please contact the CAN National Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.