Consult before you toss!
With the continued return to campus, offices are cleaning out their filing cabinets and shared drives, because let’s face it – it’s been a while! But before you toss or delete, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Official records of the university, paper or electronic, must be retained and disposed of according to the Carleton University Retention Schedule. If you don’t find your records in the schedule, contact Corporate Records and Archives department for guidance.
- Records that contain private, confidential, or sensitive information must be securely shredded. If you have questions about managing records with private information, contact the university’s Privacy Office.
- Records being prepared for shredding must be set aside in a locked shredding bin for pick-up or stored in a secure location where they will not be confused for regular recycling.
- Both paper and electronic records that have permanent value may be transferred to Corporate Records and Archives for preservation. Contact us for guidance on transferring materials.
- Looking for more records management guidance? Check out Corporate Records and Archives’ RM Toolkits and Tip Sheets. \
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to Corporate Records and Archives. We can answer any of your questions, or refer you to one of our Records Management Services.