At Carleton University, some final Honours thesis/project/essay courses allow the option of re-registration. Please check with your academic unit to confirm that you are are eligible to re-register.
For those Honours thesis/project/essay courses that allow re-registration, following are the general guidelines that apply to registration in these courses:
- Section A is considered the first registration/ attempt and is calculated at full billing fees.
- Section B is considered the first re-registration/second attempt and is calculated at half billing fees. Section B is optional. (Registration in this section is only permitted if an IP grade has been assigned in Section A)
- Section C is considered the first or second re-registration/final attempt and is calculated at half billing fees. (Registration in this section is only permitted if an IP grade has been assigned in Section B or Section A*)
*Registrations must be in consecutive terms with section B being optional.
For those Honours thesis/project/essay courses that allow re-registration, following are the general guidelines surrounding grades related to those courses:
- Section A or B may be assigned a final letter grade upon completion or an IP grade, which signifies “in progress”.
- An IP grade in Section A or B of an incomplete Honours thesis/essay/project will remain on the academic record but has no value in the calculation of CGPA.
- Registration in Section C will always result in a final letter grade being assigned and is the final attempt at completion.
*Students pursuing an Honours BA in Economics should check with the Economics department before registering as the section letters differ depending on the patterning of the 1st registration in an Honours thesis. However, the same guidelines listed here apply in terms of registration and grades.