What is Prepare Training?
In Prepare Training® participants acquire skills that build confidence to effectively deal with irrational, angry, hostile people both internal and external to the workplace.
With an organized understanding of how behaviors escalate and how to safely respond to those behaviors, employees become part of the solution.
The program is built on values that prioritize respectful interactions, a service-oriented attitude, and a safe environment for employees and customers.
There is a $20 per person, cost recovery charge that is billed to the participants department following completion of the course.
In the Foundation Course (4 hours) you will:
- Learn how crisis situations evolve and develop.
- Examine the issues that impact Respect, Service, and Safety at Work®.
- Explore the nonverbal and verbal elements of communication that can impact a crisis situation.
- Practice de-escalation strategies.
- Learn how to set limits with individuals who are verbally aggressive and noncompliant.
- Understand the reciprocal relationship between one’s own behavior and the behavior of others.
- Develop coping mechanisms that can help maintain professionalism during confrontations.
- Explore ways to learn from crisis situations and improve future interventions.
Who should take the course?
Whether you are a manager, an administrator or customer service representative, this program can be customised to suit any role and assist in improving the quality of service in your area.
Departmental or unit bookings are encouraged to allow for training that addresses area specific needs. Sorry there are no group discounts, the cost recovery charge only covers our expenses.
To book, please contact the program coordinator, Richard Sabourin at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Public courses are provided in a format that allows for participant input and can address some area specific issues. To register for available sessions please visit Carleton Central.
Course can be found under Employee Services>Learning and Development>Workshop Registration>All Programs>CPI Prepare Foundation Training.
What other modules can be added to the Foundation Course (2 hours each, for group bookings only)?
How to Document Incidents
Setting Effective Limits
Giving Bad News
Personal Safety Techniques
For more information on these modules and more, please visit CPI’s Prepare Training web page.
S/Cst. Richard Sabourin
Training, Investigations and Case Manager
613-520-2600 ext. 1277
Department of University Safety
203 Robertson Hall,
1125 Colonel By Drive