Must be available from June 27 to July 29
The Shad2022 program runs Sunday, July 3 – Friday, July 29, 2022
What is a Recreation Director at Shad Canada?
The Recreation Director (Rec Director) has primary responsibility for the planning, development and execution of recreational activities and events within the Shad program, in cooperation with the Program Directors and Program Manager. In addition, they are expected to participate fully in the day-to-day activities of the program, assisting in the education and mentorship of many young people. The Rec Director arranges the necessary resources and supplies for recreational activities and ensures that proper risk management principles are being applied. The Rec Director is also responsible for leading academic workshops, guiding discussions, and supporting the development of a safe and inclusive community.
What is Shad Canada?
Shad is a STEAM and entrepreneurship program for students in grades 10 and 11. During the immersive month-long program, students live on campus and participate in a real-world design challenge that prepares them to take on social and economic challenges. Shad’s program is transformational and lifechanging and many participants go on to innovate and start their own businesses. Shad is a registered charity and has been running since 1980 and has more than 20,000 alumni.
Put simply, Shad exists to empower exceptional youth to make the world a better place. Will you join us in achieving our mission?
What makes a great Rec Director?
Programs such as Shad thrive on diversity. As such, we are seeking team members with diverse backgrounds and experience to build a strong team that will thrive in a challenging program environment. Although the program is focused on science, technology, business and mathematics, compelling candidates from the humanities and arts are encouraged to apply. Ideal candidates are mature, responsible and are likely senior students (3rd or 4th year) in their undergraduate program or in graduate studies. Recent graduates with industry experience are also of interest.
Candidates have proven experience in leadership and community involvement. They are passionate about interacting with and supporting young men and women. Familiarity with the programs and facilities of Carleton University will be considered a strong asset.
Successful applicants will have the following characteristics:
● Experience in planning events and sports/athletic activities
● Demonstrated leadership qualities
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
● Can positively influence a group of top senior high school students
● Mature, responsible and able to exercise good judgement
● Detailed oriented and organized
What are the expectations for a Recreation Director?
● The Rec Director is required to participate fully in program activities and live on the Carleton University Campus for the duration of the program. Room and board is provided
● The Rec Director will be expected to attend a few team member meetings in the spring and to attend team member training during the week prior to student arrivals
● Plan, co-ordinate, schedule and implement every-day recreational activities and events in co-operation with the Program Directors and Program Manager, ever mindful of risk management principles and compliance with related risk management policies
● Plan, co-ordinate, schedule and implement occasional morning recreational activities for interested participants
● Arrange for necessary resources and supplies for recreational activities and events
● The Rec Director will need to prepare two academic, hands-on workshops, on a topic of their interest prior to their arrival on campus on for team members training in June. All workshop details must be approved by the Program Directors
● A final report will be required from all team members after the program ends that highlight areas of strength, need and next steps for the program
● Successful candidates are required to have a Police Vulnerable Sector Check completed and a current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate
● All program team members contracted for the Shad2022 program will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have approved accommodation
How do I apply?
Recreation Director applicants are encouraged to refer to https://carleton.ca/shad/ or www.shad.ca for more information about the program. To be considered in the first round of applicants, please submit your application (cover letter and resume) to email@example.com before January 14, 2022.