1. I would like to apply to your program but my grades are low. What Can I do? Do you have a qualifying year program? We do not have a qualifying year under our program. Students can take courses as special students without affiliation to any program. Namely, a student is not accepted to a program if he/she wishes to improve their grades.An international student may not be able to apply for a visa if you are not accepted in a program.The best course of action is to improve your grades and then apply for grad school.
  2. What is the deadline for applying to the program? You can apply either for the fall term or the winter term of each academic year. For dates, please review the how to apply pages. (Note for potential International students: Please try to avoid applying for the Winter Term admissions for various reasons including potential delays in obtaining appropriate Visa and the non-availability of graduate courses in the Summer Term.  Please restrict your application to the Fall Term. Ensure that all the relevant documents are submitted by the end of February to give us ample time to process your application.)
  3. Is there funding for international students? There is **extremely limited ** funding for international students. Usually, they do not cover the full cost of tuition and living expenses. Students typically require a minimum of 11.0 GPA , extremely strong recommendation letters, and ample evidence of research potential.
  4. Do I need to apply for a TA position separately? Yes, you need to indicate on your application that you wish to be considered for a Teaching Assistant Position.
  5. What are the requirements for English as a Second Language (ESL)? The ESL requirements can be found here. These requirements must be met before you can start your graduate studies. TOEFL/IELTS results are valid for 2 years from test date.  
  6. Is the GRE general test score required? No we do not require a GRE. But if you have taken that exam, then please do indicate your scores.
  7. Do I need to identify a graduate faculty with whom I would like to work? If you have specified faculty members with whom you wish to work then we will first forward your file to the faculty members that you have indicated. If you did not indicate faculty members then your file will be open to all faculty members. Note, that if the faculty members that you have indicated have decided not to accept you as their student then your file will be open to all faculty members. We recommend that you also contact the potential supervisor(s) and discuss possible research work with them. If you are applying to the master program then having a supervisor increases your chances of being accepted. If you are applying to the Ph.D. program you must have a supervisor before you are admitted to the school.
  8. I have been working for several years. Can I submit a reference from industry? We require three academic references. Sometimes depending on the years of experience (usually more than 10 years) we may make an exception and accept two academic references and one non-academic. Preferably, someone from industry who has a Ph.D.
  9. How much does it cost to study at Carleton? Please consult the graduate page of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs. There you will find information about tuition fees and cost of living.
  10. How do I apply