Course Outlines, Material and Honours Projects
SCS Server Room
Short Term Loans
Annual School Budget
The following lists instructor services available at SCS.
- SCS Omicron Linux Network
- SCS External Access Host
- SCS Printing
- Technical Reports
- GPU Computing
- Web Resources
- MS Teams Video Meetings
- CuLearn: for Instructors –Training
- Research Computing and Development Cloud (RCDC)
- Service Catalogue
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
- Voice Services
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI, cuDesktop)
- University Email
- [EDC] Education Development Centre, great resource to help with course design, teaching tools, and teaching tips
- [IMS] Instructional Media Services
- [IMS] My Classroom
- [eShop] Purchasing System
- [Guide] Backups
- [Guide] File Sharing
You will require an SCS Drupal account to use this service
- SCS contract instructor course upload instructions
- Archiving of student submitted course work for Contract Instructors
The School has a subscription to the MSDNAA where faculty and staff can download Microsoft software free of charge for course related purposes. Matlab and VMWARE are also available:
Microsoft Office is available at hardware services (Tunnel level HP building) for the cost of the media. You can also access Microsoft Office 365 free of charge using your Carleton email address:
The current University wide Anti-virus software is Trend Micro Antivirus (free @ Carleton):
University wide Site Licensed Software is listed here:
The SCS Server room is a shared space with the faculty of Science. The server room has the following:
- 5 x standard network racks
- 5 x UPS power (one per rack)
- air-conditioned room
- limited shelf space for non-rack equipment
- 10G networking
There is limited space in the server room, please contact the SCS Tech staff if you wish to host equipment here.
We have 5 labs assigned for courses running 160 Windows 10 workstations on the schools network.
The labs are located in the following rooms (as of Feb. 2021):
- HP3115 – SCS Undergraduate Lab
- HP4115 – SCS Undergraduate Lab
- HP4125 – TA Center
- HP4155 – Tutorial Lab
- HP5151 – Sr. UG & Game Development Lab
- you can have your course software installed on the Windows lab image
- all SCS students can automatically create accounts on the lab PC’s and access the workstations
- software can be made available for distribution via the labs; the labs have fast Internet access
- labs can be booked for tutorials, demo’s, presentations, and workshops and a first-come-first-serve basis
The university uses Microsoft 360 as their officially supported faculty and staff email. It comes with a full web browser compatible client and 50GB mail box quota. Optionally you can use Microsoft Outlook client or another IMAP client.
The school has its own legacy email server that has been running since the school’s inception. We have some capability to assign aliases in the @scs.carleton.ca domain.
Swipe Card Access
The school has been managing the CBORD card access system since they have offered the service. The card access system replaces key access to your lab by using your employee or student card.
Advantages of the system:
- no keys, no returning keys, no deposits
- access is managed via a web interface
- timed access to open your lab on a specific time and date
- audit who entered your lab; lab stats
- add users and add a start and expiry date
The system has a one time cost of about $5,000 to install (DUS can provide an exact quote).
If you are contemplating updating your own lab servers then take advantage of the SCS Open Stack Cloud platform. The school can have your server up and running in hours and it comes with a large number of benefits over a traditionally hosted server.
Check the Server room page for equipment that may be suitable for your research group:
The Faculty of Science has invested considerable amount of money in Research Computing. If your looking to run a large batch job that requires CPU server cluster then contact:
- [ITS] Research Computing Services
- [ITS] Research Computing and Development Cloud (RCDC)
- [Science] Faculty of Science – Information Technology Officer
They have a number of clusters available for all Faculty of Science Researchers.
School has a number of items for short term loan to support courses:
- portable projectors
- digital camera
- gaming consoles
- PC components
- Raspberry Pie’s
- vintage computing parts and computers
Every year the school submits a Tech Budget to support courses offered in the upcoming Academic year.
If your course requires equipment or software needed for the operation of your course then you can request for it in the budget submission.
The Budget submission is typically due at the end of the Fall term. That is if you would like to submit something for Fall 2022 or Winter 2023 you would have to submit your request in Dec. 2021 (Fall 2021). If the budget item is approved by the Dean’s office the funds are typically available after May.
Please submit your Tech budget items to the SCS Tech staff.
The schools Tech staff can assist with the following:
- Openstack / Cloud Computing / GPU Computing
- assist in installing computer or server software
- provide computer or server quotations
- organize Asset Disposals
- consult & assist with your research computing needs
- trouble shoot servers, computers and networking hardware
- custom programming and web-programming projects