Apply to the MA in Communication
Students wishing to be considered for financial assistance (including Carleton scholarships and teaching/research assistantships) must submit a complete application by February 1.
Only those applications received by February 1 will be considered during the first round of admissions. If, after the first round of admissions, there are still positions remaining in the program, applications received after February 1 (but before March 1) will then be considered.
After reading the important 6 steps below, click on the Apply Online button below and follow the directions to create an online OUAC account. Your password will be emailed to you within 3 business days. Once you receive your ID and password you will have access to this account, to complete the application form and make the online payment. After payment is received, you will be emailed your Carleton User ID number and instructions on how to access Carleton Central.
- Two electronic confidential referee appraisal forms.* Ensure that the referee information provided on your OUAC application form is correct and that referees have been informed of their role. Once your online application is completed, indicated referees will be emailed automatically with the required forms for their completion. Referees should be able to comment on your academic background and aptitude for graduate school.
- One uploaded statement of intent outlining your interests and objectives in the MA program; usually a 2-5 page, double-spaced document stating your likely area of research, its relevance to communication studies, and any additional information which will allow the admissions committee to understand your research intentions and goals.
- One uploaded curriculum vitae (CV/Resumé).
- One copy of uploaded sample of written work, from your most recent degree program, typically a senior undergraduate essay.
- One copy of uploaded academic transcripts from the university or universities you have attended. If you are currently completing your undergraduate degree, upload an interim transcript before the February 1st deadline. Upon recommendation of admission, original official transcripts will be required.
- One copy uploaded of your TOEFL/IELTS/CAEL English proficiency test score.* Applicants whose native language is not English must submit this document. Upon recommendation of admission, original document will be required. Those outside Canada should visit the Test of English as a Foreign Language website (www.toefl.org) or the International English Language Testing System (www.ielts.org) website to learn about testing locations and procedures. Applicants in Canada are advised to visit www.cael.ca to inquire about taking a Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test. To be eligible for the MA Communication, a candidate must present an official test score of one of the following:
a) TOEFL – an overall score of 86 on the internet-based test (iBT) with a minimum score in each component of : writing-22; speaking-22; reading-20; and listening-20; orb) IELTS – score of 7 in all components; orc) CAEL – score of 70
* Other supporting forms, including the Language Proficiency form, Add a Referee form, can be found by clicking on the Apply Online button below, and then to the Required Documents upper tab.