|Degrees:||Ph.D. (Florida State)|
Research Interests/Current Research
- Social work in the North
- Human rights, social/economic justice and social work practice
- History of social work
- Refugee and immigration settlement
- Radical social work practice and theory
“Social Justice and Implication for the Field” (with Katherine van Wormer) in Aimee Hilado and Marta Lundy (eds.) Models for Practice with Immigrants and Refugees: Collaboration, Cultural Awareness and Integrative Theory, Sage Publishers, 2018; (381-397).
Social Work, Social Justice and Human Rights: A Structural Approach to Practice, 2nd edition Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2011, 384 pages.
One Hundred Years of Social Work: A History of the Profession in English Canada 1900-2000 (with Therese Jennissen), Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2011, 351 pages.
Social Work and Social Justice: A Structural Approach to Practice, Peterborough: Broadview Press, 2004, 268 pages.
“Introduction”, (with John Biles, Glenn Drover, Meredith Henley, Humera Ibrahim, and Miu Chung Yan), in Special Edition on Settlement of Newcomers to Canada, Canadian Social Work journal, 12 (1) 2010: 5-15.
“Social development and human rights in periods of economic transition: Women in contemporary Russia & Cuba” (with Therese Jennissen) in Glenn Drover (Ed.) International Social Work: Canadian Contributions, Toronto: Thomson Educational Publishing, 2009, pp. 127-149.
“Social work’s Commitment to Social and Economic Justice: A Challenge to the Profession” in Nigel Hall (ed.), Social Work Around the World, International Federation of Social Workers, and the Norwegian Institute for Applied Social Science (FAFO), July, 2006.
“Social and Economic Justice, Human Rights and Peace: The Challenge for Social Work Education in Canada and the United States (with Katherine van wormer) International Social Work 50, 6, 2007: 727-739.
Cuban Women: History, Contradictions and Contemporary Challenges (Edited with Norma Vasallo), Carleton University Graphic Services, Ottawa, November 2001, 92 pages. Published in both English and Spanish.
Affiliations/Positions Currently Held
- North America representative on the International Federation of Social Workers Human Right Commission
- Society for Socialist Studies
- Canadian Association of Social Workers
- Advisory Board, Encyclopedia of Social Work
- Member International Advisory Board Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions
- Reviewer to CFHSS Aid to Scholarly Publication Program